Chapter 89

~ Author's Note ~

BWAHAHAHAAHAHAHA GAVI'S FACE IN THAT PICTURE HE LOOKS SO SAD.

In this chapter, when I refer to 'the boyfriend arm' it is a name I've given for something that doesn't have a name. Have you ever seen a couple sitting together on a bench, and the guy has his arm leaning on the back of the bench, not actually touching her back, but stretched out, leaned behind her, his wrist hanging down on the other side of her? I don't know if I'm explaining it as right as I'd like to, but in my brain, that's 'the boyfriend arm' so now you know if I ever use the term again what it means.

oh also warning: mention of sex and censored swearing

𝑺𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒅𝒂𝒚 𝒘𝒆 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒃𝒆 𝒂𝒃𝒍𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒈𝒐 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐𝒈𝒆𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚 𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕.

𝐒𝐄𝐄𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐆𝐀𝐕𝐈 𝐈𝐒 𝐆𝐄𝐓𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐀𝐍𝐗𝐈𝐎𝐔𝐒 𝐓𝐎 𝐆𝐄𝐓 𝐆𝐎𝐈𝐍𝐆, 𝐈 𝐓𝐄𝐋𝐋 𝐋𝐄𝐎 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐈𝐅 𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐒𝐊𝐒 𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐒, 𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐀𝐍 𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐄 𝐓𝐎 𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐂𝐀𝐌𝐏𝐒𝐈𝐓𝐄 𝐓𝐎𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐑𝐎𝐖 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐌𝐄𝐄𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐋𝐀𝐘𝐄𝐑𝐒. He cries and hugs me and says I'm 'the most prettiest lady ever' and that 'Gavi is lucky he's married to you'. Both of those things, obviously, are completely wrong, but they also make both of us smile. We can't not help but smile at those adorable comments. I tell him he can text me and ask for the number of our campsite if his parents say yes, and I'd text it to him, so he can meet the other guys. He hugs us both and kisses our cheeks like the little sweetheart he is, and then finally runs off to play with the other children on the playground.

And then Gavi takes my hand, and we start walking back towards the pool. He says, completely out of the blue, "Ember, you're really sexy."

I can't help at these sudden words but let my mouth open and laughter fall out of it.

"What's funny?" he asks, eyebrows furrowed, so serious.

So, so serious.

"You, Pablo! Are you aware of how much of a contradiction you are?"

"Contradiction? What the heck are you talking about?"

"One minute, you're absolutely beating the snot out of your teammates. Next, you're trembling in my arms, begging for forgiveness. Next, you're pushing me against a wall, making out with me, tuggin' at my bikini top. Then you're saying you just want to go on a nice little walk and hold hands. And now you're very randomly telling me how sexy I am?"

His mouth slightly opens, and then he smirks, rolling his eyes. "Yep."

I look at him for a few seconds as we walk, before suddenly asking him, "Gavi, have you ever wanted to become a father?"

His nose crinkles up at this comment and he says firmly in confusion, "No...? Never in my life have I ever wished for that."

"You sure 'bout that?"

"Yeah, completely. Why would you think otherwise?"

I shrug with a cheeky grin, teasing, "I dunno, love... I was just thinking, three times already you've done things that would make me think otherwise."

"What have I done?" he asks, eyebrows furrowing more.

"Two times you've called me 'mommy', and now I help a child and you randomly tell me I'm sexy...?"

"Ember-" he says, not knowing what to say. "I just meant that girls who are caring are sexy."

I raise an eyebrow. "'Kay, then."

"Why?" he grins. "Kind of interesting the way you jump to conclusions like that so quickly, huh? Do you want to be a mother?"

"No way. Too much work. Ruin my perfect body. Do I want to have sex with you, though? Totally."

"I've got news for you then, love. There's this little issue. Sometimes having sex can lead to being a parent. You see, when a man and a woman love each other very much-"

"Shut up!" I say in annoyance. "I don't want a sex ed class, I know all about it, you cheeky b****."

"Yeah, I'm sure you know all about it," he rolls his eyes, grinning.

"What's that stupid look about?"

"You."

"Huh?"

"My cheeky look is about you."

"Oh...?" I say in confusion.

I wait a few seconds, before saying, "Alright, then why'd you call me 'mommy'?"

"My goodness, Ember, why are you so concerned with this? Why do I call you 'love'? Why do you call me 'babe' sometimes? I don't know. I just did. Honest. Like, why are you so obsessed with this?" That cheeky, teasing grin widens. "Do you like me calling you that? Are you into that, you weirdo? Huh? Is that what this is? Do you blush if I call you that? You want me to call you that more?"

"Oh, my goodness, Pablo, stop."

"Look at you!" he says, point with a laugh. "All flustered and bright red and trying to look all tough, sounding so whiny! You gonna whine for me to stop?"

"Oh my goodness," I say again, shaking my head in disbelief, looking away from him. "Actually, stop, you weirdo."

"Alright," he says with a shrug. "I guess I at least know some other weird thing you're into now so I can catch you off guard sometime."

"I'm not into being called 'mommy'!"

"Yeah, you are! You're the weirdo! You're a blushing mess, Ember."

"Come on, now, you don't have to catch me off guard with that, okay? There's really no need-"

"You know catching you off guard is my specialty. Everything is always better when you're not expecting it."

"What are you even referring to? Not sex, apparently, because you're obviously too scared to ever actually do anyth-"

"Oh, wow, look, Ember! We're at the pool. What perfect timing. Let's go in and celebrate Pedri's birthday, yeah? Sound good to you? See, that's another example! Pedri's birthday was better, because we caught him off guard!"

"Shut up, loser," I say, following him into the pool area.

He leads me to the hot tub right away, where Pedri, Dembele, and Ansu are hanging out. We drop into the tub together, and settle on the bench, farthest away from the others. It's a very large hot tub.

Gavi gently does 'the boyfriend arm' behind me, leaning his arm on the floor next to the pool. He calls to Kounde, who is on the ground, by the food table, and says, "Hey, brother, can you pour me and Ember a glass of wine, please?"

"Sure," he calls back.

Suddenly, someone behind me says, "Hey, Ember, can we talk for a second?"

I turn around to see Ferran Torres standing there.