Chapter 61

~ Author's Note ~

That picture of Gavi is so striking, isn't it?

Bruh, my brain is so scattered.

This'll be an interesting chapter.

Along with basically every other Barca player, I'M IN LOVE WITH RAPHINHA, guys.

Lol, my mental health lately has been so sucky ! 😜😜😜

Anyway, enough of that.

𝑶𝒏𝒍𝒚 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒈𝒊𝒗𝒆 𝒎𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒇𝒆𝒆𝒍𝒊𝒏𝒈.

𝐒𝐎𝐌𝐄𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄 𝐃𝐔𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐀𝐗𝐈 𝐑𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐇𝐎𝐌𝐄, 𝐈 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐂𝐑𝐘𝐈𝐍𝐆, 𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐀𝐍𝐗𝐈𝐄𝐓𝐘, 𝐁𝐄𝐂𝐀𝐔𝐒𝐄 𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐈𝐅 𝐏𝐄𝐃𝐑𝐈 𝐈𝐒 𝐑𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓? But he can't be, can he? Pablo always seems so... perfect. I never see any of that in him... Pedri is right, I'm sure, because he wouldn't lie, would he? Maybe he's also right, though, about Pablo growing out of that... Maybe that was a problem he used to have, but he'd never threaten or be possessive of me, now, would he? I mean, I'm not cheating on him, so...

Ugh.

I walk into our apartment, and ignore my friends' questions about my tear-stained cheeks, like, "Oh my God, Em, what happened?" and "Was it something with Cris...? Ember, you can talk to us...!" And then a sigh. I lock myself in my room, hands shaking. Usually in a situation like this, I'd call Pedri for comfort. Well, can't really do that right now, can I...?

Maybe I need to, though. Maybe I ought to learn more about this... I need to figure this out. I can't just sit here and cry about it. I have to figure it out. So I open my phone, and hit Pedri's contact, deciding not to video call. I'm surprised when Pablo's voice answers the phone inside of Pedri's. And, to be honest, a little nervous, too, for some reason. He says, sounding worked up, but trying to sound calm, "Ember, what happened?! I'm sorry about what Pedri said...! What on earth did Pedri do to you? Ember? Whatever he said to you was lies! He was just trying to hurt you, or something. Are you okay? You didn't cry, right? Please tell me he didn't make you cry. It's okay, Pedri can't hear our conversation, you can talk to me. Why did you... Why'd you call him, and not me...?" he suddenly asks, realizing he's on Pedri's phone, talking to me. "Ember?"

I swallow up whatever emotion is trying to sneak up on me, before saying, "Nothing happened, Pablo... Not really. Pedri didn't say or do anything abusive or something, if that's what you're thinking. He's not... I need to... I need to talk to..." Suddenly, I'm fighting off tears.

"Ember, where are you?"

"Home..."

"We need to meet someplace. I'll pick you up. I'm gonna give Pedri's phone back, and I'll get in my car, and I'll call you, and I'll talk to you on the phone until I get there and you tell me what the heck happened. Okay?"

"No, Pablo, I... I need... Please..."

"I'm coming, love, I'm coming," he says, before hanging up.

What the hell?

I don't even know what is happening.

So I guess Pablo is going to be coming here to pick me up, but calling me until he gets here?

Even though, in the first place, all I wanted, and all I needed to so was to talk to Pedri, before I even spoke to Pablo.

Oh, no.

No, no, no, no, no.

I need to talk to Pedri.

Why didn't I just tell Pablo that when I could with all the sincere emotions I'm feeling right now?

I sigh, before standing up to change my clothes. I put on a baseball cap, some rings, and a black and white striped cropped tank-top. I don't feel very well about any of this. In about a minute, the phone rings again, and it's Pablo's number, as I knew would be happening. I answer, and he says, "I'm only about ten minutes away. You're not hurt, are you?"

This surprises me. Would he really suspect his friend, his best friend, Pedri, would hurt me?! "Of course not, Pablo!" I say, trying to sound like I'm in good spirits, and not stressed out and confused like I am. "Pedri would never hurt me. Pedri didn't do anything to me, okay? So don't worry about that."

"Then what did he do?" he demands. "What made you cry?"

"Can I ask you a question?" I ask firmly.

There's a short silence, before he finally says in confusion, "Sure, of course."

"Are you mad at Pedri?"

"Obviously!"

"Why?"

"Ember, what do you mean, 'why'?! He made you cry, didn't he!"

"How do you know? Did he tell you that?"

"Well, no, but obviously he did, because I was there one second, and I left you two alone, and I come back the next second, and you were running out of the house!"

"Right, that's what you saw. Nothing in that proves that Pedri made me cry, does it...?"

There's a silence. "No, but it suggests it. Listen, Ember, I know you're a sweetheart, and I know you'd never want to say something bad about one of my friends straight to me, but you have to tell me the truth!"

Suddenly, I shout a little too loudly into the phone, "Pablo, the truth is, Pedri didn't do anything, and I'm not mad at Pedri, and Pedri is one of my friends, too. And right now, it would seem like I'm the closer friend, by the way you're acting! You're jumping to so many conclusions here! Don't blame Pedri, because he didn't do anything. Okay? Are you here yet, because I need to see your face to keep talking about this."

Pablo sighs, and simply says, very softly, "Yes, I'm here." He sounds guilty, and a little stressed, and suddenly, I feel so guilty and so bad.

I just yelled, basically, at my boyfriend.

I have to be more merciful and forgiving with the one I love so much. I don't mean that anger. I wouldn't want him to talk like that to me. I have to understand that although Pablo immediately blamed Pedri, without even knowing half of the situation, and that that was wrong, he is just saying and doing this because he loves me, he cares about me, he wants to make sure I'm happy, and wants to make sure I'm safe.

This is going to be a lot of crap to sort through.