Chapter 123

~ Author's Note ~

Hola babies 😍😍😍

One two three today!

Okay freaking breathe if you agree that PABLO GAVI CAME BACK TO 2023/24 PRESEASON LOOKING HOTTER THAN EVER, NO?

Anyway, I'm doing well, and I hope you are all too <3

Also sorry there might be a few more grammar mistakes in this one than normal.

𝑬𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒕𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒚𝒐𝒖. 𝑬𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒉𝒂𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒆𝒏 𝒃𝒆𝒕𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒊𝒏𝒄𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖.

"𝐎𝐇 𝐌𝐘 𝐆𝐎𝐃, 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐓𝐀𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐒 𝐒𝐎 𝐀𝐌𝐀𝐙𝐈𝐍𝐆! Pablo, have you been eating like this for your whole life? Because if so, you're one lucky boy."

"Well, sure I have. My mama is the best cook. Ever. And Ember, it's already established I'm one lucky boy. You are my girlfriend, after all. That makes me pretty lucky."

I roll my eyes and grin, shaking my head as I continue eating. "Thank you so much for having me, everyone," I say to Gavi's family. I'm sitting in between my boyfriend and his sister, with his parents more across from me.

"Oh, of course! You're already part of the family!" says his mother, who is just such a doll.

I smile at this and thank them wholeheartedly for their kindness.

"So, Ember, wanna hear all the sappy things Pablo says about you?"

"I mean, he says sappy things to me, too. I probably have already heard it all."

"It's just crazy to me. He's never been romantic, until you. Man, I don't know what you did to him, girl, but my brother is head over heels about you."

I laugh, giving Pablo a gentle slap on the arm. "Oh, trust me. I know. Sometimes he gets pretty clingy."

"You guys are talking about me like I'm not here," Pablo says with a grunt, rolling his eyes as he shovels more of his mother's Christmas dinner into his mouth.

I shrug. "Not really, grumpy."

But he shows me that he's just being silly when he gently grabs my thigh under the tablecloth and continues eating with his right hand. This makes me smile softly, just to myself, and just for a second, our eyes meet.

Once the (huge) dinner is finished, the whole family, including myself, now, I guess, goes back to their living room. I sit close to Pablo, right neck to him, leaning on his shoulder, as everyone talks and catches up about basically everything in life. There's laughter, joy, and time spent together, and although I feel, so, so happy, there's still something a little empty in me, when I think about last night and this morning, and everything that has happened.

So for comfort, I find myself moving closer and closer to Pablo as the night goes on, until finally, I just end up slipping onto his lap, arms around him, head on his chest. Of course his family thinks this is so sweet as Pablo holds me, hugging me back, but I just give a long, big yawn. Pablo whispers in my ear, "You getting tired?"

"Yeah... I am, I guess. The last twenty-four hours have done a toll on me."

He nods, stroking your hair gently, before saying, "Guys, maybe we should get to opening presents, before we all go to sleep right here."

"Yeah, really," yawn's Pablo's father. "I'm getting pretty tired. It's way passed my bedtime."

My boyfriend teasingly pokes me, saying, "I think it's also passed her bedtime, too."

"Shut up," I mutter softly with a little smile, looking out at the room. The room full of loving people who would never fail to show their support. The room full of people who want the best for you and Pablo. The room full of warm lighting and the beautiful Christmas tree. The room full of smiling faces and carefree conversations.

It's amazing how in the terrible stress that life sometimes brings, there are always places. Places of comfort. Places where people care. Where they would do anything to help you. Places of just peace, where you don't have to worry about unemployment, secret relationships, and missing your loved ones. You sniff, wiping your eyes, and Pablo whispers to you in curiosity and worry, "Ember, are you crying? Are you okay?"

"Yeah," I whisper back. "I'm okay, Pablo... I just... I feel so happy to be here. Here, this feels like family."

That's what it is.

This is what it feels like to have a real, loving family. One you can turn to at any time, in any situation, no matter what, who will still be there for you. No matter how much you f***ed up.

"Well, if we're going to give gifts now, then I guess I better get Pablo's from the car," I say with a big yawn. "I feel bad, because I only have a gift for Pablo."

"Oh, sweetheart, don't feel bad! You just met us today! We have plenty of gifts for each other!" says his mother right away to me. "Don't worry about it."

Pablo, being silly Pablo, saying, "Wait, you got a gift for me? Love, you didn't need t-"

"Aw, listen to that!" says his sister teasingly. "He even calls her 'love'. You two are so sweet, shut up..."

I laugh at this, sitting up a bit. Pablo's hands slip down so that they're holding me by my waist. He seems to ignore his family getting all excited about our relationship, and asks me, "Want me to come out to the car with you?"

"No, it's fine, Pablo," I say, slipping off of his lap, forcing his hands to fall off of me. "But thank you. But I can get it. I want it to be a surprise for you."

"How did you even manage to put it in the car and bring it without me noticing...?" asks my boyfriend.

"Just packed it with me, and then slipped it in the backseat. It wasn't so hard. You're not very observant."

Pablo rolls his eyes, and nods, saying, "Be careful, then."

As I walk out of the room, to the door, and out of the house, I call, "Alright, Mr. Protect Ember At All Costs! It's about ten steps outside! I'll be fine!" But really, of course, I love the concern he shows for me. I love how much he quietly cares. Normally, he wouldn't worry, but he just knows I'm tired and less on my guard. He's a sweetheart.

The last thing I hear before I walk out of the house is Pablo's family talking to him, about me, mostly. Making sure he's been a good boyfriend to me. Making sure his son is doing what they've taught him. Making sure he's treating me right, with love and respect.

And that makes me smile.