Chapter 62

~ Author's Note ~

GUYS !

PEDRI.

HE'S BACK, HE'S BACK, HE'S BACK, HE'S BACK, HE'S BACK!

HE'S BACK.

my boy is freaking b a c k .

He's probably gonna play (hopefully, in my head) against Real Madrid next Sunday! Which I'm SUPER pumped for, by the way!

Me and my mom were literally just discussing the different strengths and weaknesses of different Barca players, and we came to the conclusion that Pedri has no flaws on the pitch.

He's just like, that good.

Freaking love Pedri, guys.

Can't freaking wait, man.

Anyway, really happy about Atleti's game with Girona.

Man, lately, I've just really been loving VAR.

Anyway, I know you've all been waiting in anticipation to learn about what Gavi has to say about Pedri's claims to Ember, so I better get back to that as well!

Sorry if the previous few chapters were, uh, I'll use the adjective controversial. Please don't stop reading because of that. Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

You guys just don't, because you can't know my thoughts.

Which is good, because otherwise you'd already know what happens at the end of the story, which would be stupid and boring.

SO BE FREAKING HAPPY THAT YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON, GUYS.

And trust me, I know what I'm doing. I have a plan.

Sometimes only good stories make you confused and angry, anyway.

𝑴𝒆𝒆𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒘𝒂𝒔 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆 𝒍𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒐 𝒂 𝒔𝒐𝒏𝒈 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒇𝒊𝒓𝒔𝒕 𝒕𝒊𝒎𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒕 𝒘𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒃𝒆 𝒎𝒚 𝒇𝒂𝒗𝒐𝒓𝒊𝒕𝒆.

I run out to Gavi's car as soon as I spot it pulling up to my building, ignoring my friends' questions again when I go through the front room. I slip into the passenger's seat, and try to catch his eye, try to talk to him, but he just hits the gas, and starts speeding down the street. I clutch the arm rests, all my muscles tensing, as I say, "Gavi, slow down the damn car! You're going nearly twenty over!"

He suddenly hits the break, blurting, "Gosh, sorry-! Didn't realise I was going so fast..."

I stare at him silently for a few seconds, before asking with narrowed eyes and knitted eyebrows, "Is that how fast you drive most of the time, when you're alone, when I'm not in the car!?"

His silence to this question answers yes in my opinion, and I shake my head in disbelief and worry. He's a sucky driver to begin with, so to be going that fast along with it, too? Man, he's reckless. Finally he answers, "I've been trying to get better. Everyone always tells me to stop speeding so much, because if I got in a bad enough accident, my football career could be ruined. So I guess that kind of motivates me... They also say I shouldn't because there are so many people that care for me..."

"Good, you should listen to them. Who is them? Pedri?"

I watch as Gavi's grip on the wheel tightens even more than it was before, and he says through clenched teeth, "Yup."

I wait a few seconds, before saying, "So you're taking me somewhere where we can talk this out, smooth this over, figure it out, right?"

"Precisely. Oh, and here," he reaches in his pocket, and hands me a box of chocolates, to my surprise. "From before," he explains softly. "What I bought you before. I was gonna give it to you... You still want it, right? I'm sorry if it's melted a bit..."

I stare at the chocolates, mouth slightly open, before finally saying, "No, no, of course I still want it, Gavi! Th... Thanks... a lot. Thank you... Thank you, love. It means more than you think it does." I open it, and take a piece, and think about this. Despite anything that went on at Gavi's house after I left, and hearing how distracted and worried Gavi sounded on the phone, he still remembered something as little as to grab the chocolates he bought for me, before he left the house.

With every second I sit here, driving, next to Gavi, I become more convinced that Pedri is lying. He has got to be. Gavi would never be abusive like that. I mean, my God, he gets flustered at the littlest things! Isn't he too innocent to have dated such a nasty slut like that, and then abuse her? He'd never! I can't even begin to imagine Gavi being that way! He's so perfect to me! He'd never. Why would Pedri lie? I feel a little bubble of anger rise up within me, unsure about why Pedri did that. I decide to ignore the memory of how sincere, honest, concerned, and worried Pedri looked for me and Gavi, and our relationship. Maybe there was just mistake... Some misunderstanding in all of it... There has got to be. There just has to be. Because I know with all my heart that Gavi would not do that, and he hasn't done it, and he never will. In fact, in my head, in this moment, I swear on my life, Gavi's life, and our relationship that Gavi never, ever abused that girl. I just know he didn't. So I just gave up my life if he did. That's how sure I am he hasn't. I mutter, "Gavi, baby, how long 'til we get... wherever we're going...? Where are we going, anyway...?"

"Only a few more minutes. Like, maybe two. It'll be somewhere private; don't worry. But it will also be a... I think it will be a good place for us to just go for a walk and talk."

"It seems pretty close to our houses...? Where in the city of Barcelona are you bringing me that's not your house and that is private...?"

"You'll see," he responds simply.

And he's right, because in a few minutes, I do see. It takes me a second to recognize this street, but I do. This silent street. The last time I was here, it was nighttime. The last time I was here, months ago, was the night I became friends with Pablo Gavi. It's this street. "Oh!" I say, getting out of the car with him, nibbling on another chocolate. "Gavi, you remembered what road it was?!"

"Of course I did," he says back, seeming less exclamatory. He takes my hand, putting his hood up, and leads me down the street. I let him. He leads me to a tiny little crook of a park before a few houses, where a bench sits, overlooking a tiny little grassy lawn. "We will sit here," he says, sitting down with me, putting an arm around my shoulders, "and we'll figure out what all this with Pedri was about."