Chapter 35

~ Author's Note ~

I was so mad about Barca's loss to Almeria... We need Pedri and Dembele... R.I.P. Barcelona. Especially after the Manchester United game. Like, man. And now Mr. Yellow Card King Gavi can't play with Real Madrid on Thursday in Copa del Rey or El Clasico or whatever, and I am praying with all my heart for FC Barcelona.

Like, my goodness, Gavi. They call you 'Barcelona's Golden Boy'? Like, nah. Maybe Pedri is a Golden Boy. But Gavi, buddy, you're a Yellow Boy, for your amazing track record of yellow cards. 

Anyway, I'm not upset about that. Nope. Not at all. I'm totally not in love with Pablo Gavi and disappointed that he's going to be missing a game. Me? No! Never me! I'd never, ever think that, right?!

𝑰 𝒑𝒓𝒆𝒕𝒆𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒍𝒐𝒐𝒌 𝒂𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅, 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝑰'𝒎 𝒂𝒄𝒕𝒖𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝒍𝒐𝒐𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒚𝒐𝒖.

𝐀 𝐖𝐄𝐄𝐊 𝐏𝐀𝐒𝐒𝐄𝐒, 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐈𝐒 𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐋𝐋 𝐍𝐎 𝐂𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐎𝐑 𝐀𝐍𝐘𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐅𝐑𝐎𝐌 𝐆𝐀𝐕𝐈. As each day passes, my excitement slowly changes more into anger and confusion. Mostly just anger, though.

And then, finally, just like that, on a Thursday night, the phone rings. Of course, he just has to have horrible timing. Of course he does. He calls me right in the middle of dinner with Aggie and Charli, and I snatch my phone up off the dining room table extremely quickly, to make sure Charli and Aggie don't see the contact name 'Gavi' calling on my screen. I decide that would be a pretty awkward way for them to find out.

Would any way not be pretty awkward, though, now that I really think about it, for my friends to learn that I have Pablo Gavi's contact, and that he's calling me?

I stand up, saying, a little too excitedly, "Gosh, sorry, guys. I gotta take this call!" Before they can question me, I'm out the door, picking up the phone, jogging to the lobby of our building. No one is there. It will be okay to talk there. "Gav-!" I don't want to finish his name, considering I'm yelling into the phone.

"Gav?" he asks. "Boy, I have had a lot of nicknames, but that sure is a new one."

I roll my eyes, grinning to myself, even though he can't see either of those things. I missed him. He says one thing, and I realize how much I really do love him. Distancing myself from him, I thought I realized how much I really did love him. Now I see I love him even more than I thought. After not speaking for so long, I realise even more how witty and clever and cute and sweet and hot and strong and... sigh. Right, back to the conversation at hand with him!

"Hey, Gavi," I say softer, all the anger that has built up within me in these past weeks completely gone. "So, uh... Why'd you call?"

"Right," he says, his tone becoming more serious. "I called because I desperately need to talk to you. I've missed you in these... what, three or two weeks since our stay in Madrid? Maybe. I don't know anymore. The weeks have run away from me, honestly. Well, I seriously upset you... And I'm... sorry. I should not have done what I did. I'm sorry, Ember, and I want to make it up to you."

I smile to myself. He doesn't even know that I know that he finally knows what made me mad at him. Gavi doesn't know that Pedri told me about the conversation the two of them had with each other. I let the smile fade off my face, before saying, "Thank you, Gavi. How do you plan to make this up, then?" I am expecting me to just straight-up ask me on a date, here and now. That is what I'm expecting his 'making up' to be.

Instead, he says, "I know you like going out to the club. There is a... good one that I know. I was thinking, maybe tomorrow night, we could go out. Then we could go to my house. Spend the night there. And then maybe we could do something Saturday morning, before I have to get to training, you know? Just an idea. I know you love the club. I think it would be a good way for us to... make it up. Spend some time together. You know?"

I nod, saying, "Sure, sounds good." I can't wait. I just know this is when he is going to tell me. It has to be. It does surprise me, though, that out of all the places he would say, he would choose the club. I know he doesn't like the club. He has made that pretty clear in the past. He has always been reluctant to go out and get drunk. It just isn't what he likes to do. So it kind of touches me that, despite it not being his favorite thing, he decides to invite me to a night at the club, just because he knows that I like doing it. It is very generous and extremely selfless of him. He's so sweet and charming. I missed simply this part of him. This huge part of him, over these weeks without him. "I'm really excited. Anyway,  I better get going now, then."

"Alright. I'll pick you up in my car at your building at 5:30 P.M. tomorrow night, and treat you to some dinner, too. See you then, Ember. I can't wait, too. Bye," And just like that, he hangs up, and it is happening. I can feel it in the air. In my heart. In my heart. In my whole body. Every part of me. I just know that this will be it. This will finally be when Pablo Martin Paez Gavira tell little old me, finally, that he loves me.

For that twenty-four hours between our phone call and when he picks me up, I can't wait. I am so anxious to finally go out with him to the club. I imagine what a fun night we'll have together.

Little did I know of the terrible mistake I would make.