Chapter 13

𝑰 𝒅𝒊𝒅𝒏'𝒕 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝒕𝒐 𝒇𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒊𝒏 𝒍𝒐𝒗𝒆, 𝒏𝒐𝒕 𝒂𝒕 𝒂𝒍𝒍. 𝑩𝒖𝒕 𝒂𝒕 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆 𝒑𝒐𝒊𝒏𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒔𝒎𝒊𝒍𝒆𝒅, 𝒂𝒏𝒅, 𝒉𝒐𝒍𝒚 𝒄𝒓𝒂𝒑, 𝑰 𝒃𝒍𝒆𝒘 𝒊𝒕.

𝐎𝐍 𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐃𝐀𝐘 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐔𝐏𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐖𝐄𝐄𝐊, 𝐈𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐈𝐃𝐃𝐋𝐄 𝐎𝐅 𝐀 𝐂𝐋𝐀𝐒𝐒, 𝐈 𝐆𝐄𝐓 𝐀 𝐓𝐄𝐗𝐓. I pull out my phone, interested, because most of the time I actually don't really get texted, unless one of my friends has something pretty important to say. They all know I'm in classes, and wouldn't just text me to text at this time of the day. In fact, they're probably working right now, too.

When I see who it is from, though, I'm happy. And, I'm not surprised. It's Gavi, and he, naturally, doesn't know my school classes schedule. He probably didn't even think that I would be working, or in classes.

I, though, being impatient, mostly because it's Gavi, and I'm way too curious to know what he's telling me, open the text right away, figuring that a few minutes of missed listening won't change much when it comes to my overall performance. Especially if it's for Gavi. I'm way too curious.

𝖦𝖺𝗏𝗂:
𝖮𝗇 𝖲𝗎𝗇𝖽𝖺𝗒 𝖺𝗍 9:00 𝗍𝗁𝖾𝗋𝖾𝗌 𝖺 𝗁𝗈𝗆𝖾 𝗀𝖺𝗆𝖾 𝖺𝗀𝖺𝗂𝗇𝗌𝗍 𝗋𝖾𝖺𝗅 𝗆𝖺𝖽𝗋𝗂𝖽. 𝗐𝗎𝖽 𝗎 𝗐𝖺𝗇𝗇𝖺 𝗀𝗈?

I grin to myself. Would I like to go? Of course I'd love to go, Gavi!

𝖬𝖾:
𝗈𝖻𝗏𝗂𝗈𝗎𝗌𝗅𝗒!

𝖦𝖺𝗏𝗂:
𝖺𝗐𝖾𝗌𝗈𝗆𝖾. 𝗂'𝗅𝗅 𝖻𝗎𝗒 𝗒𝗈𝗎 𝗆𝗒 𝗃𝖾𝗋𝗌𝖾𝗒 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝗌𝗈𝗆𝖾 𝗀𝗈𝗈𝖽 𝗌𝖾𝖺𝗍𝗌

I stare at that text, grinning to myself, softly shaking my head is disbelief.

𝖬𝖾:
𝗀𝖺𝗏𝗂, 𝖽𝗈𝗇𝗍. 𝗂 𝖼𝖺𝗇 𝗉𝖺𝗒 𝖿𝗈𝗋 𝗆𝗒𝗌𝖾𝗅𝖿

𝖦𝖺𝗏𝗂:
𝗂 𝗄𝗇𝗈𝗐, 𝖻𝗎𝗍 𝗂 𝗐𝖺𝗇𝗍 𝗍𝗈 𝗉𝖺𝗒 𝖿𝗈𝗋 𝗒𝗈𝗎 𝗆𝗈𝗋𝖾 𝗍𝗁𝖺𝗇 𝗒𝗈𝗎 𝗐𝖺𝗇𝗍 𝗍𝗈 𝗉𝖺𝗒 𝖿𝗈𝗋 𝗒𝗈𝗎𝗋𝗌𝖾𝗅𝖿. 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝗂 𝗐𝖺𝗇𝗇𝖺 𝗌𝖾𝖾 𝗒𝗈𝗎 𝗐𝖾𝖺𝗋𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝗆𝗒 𝗇𝗎𝗆𝖻𝖾𝗋 6. 𝗌𝗈 𝗂𝗆 𝗉𝖺𝗒𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝖿𝗈𝗋 𝗒𝗈𝗎, 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝗀𝖾𝗍𝗍𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝗒𝗈𝗎 𝗀𝗈𝗈𝖽 𝗌𝖾𝖺𝗍𝗌, 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝗍𝗁𝖺𝗍𝗌 𝗍𝗁𝖺𝗍. 𝗇𝗈 𝗂𝖿𝗌 𝗈𝗋 𝖻𝗎𝗍𝗌

I grin to myself, unable to conceal it. I can hear the casual sternness in that text he often talks in when I try to convince him not to be so kind and nice to me all the time. I can hear the quiet talking, but the strong opinion. I can hear him. Just that text makes me smile, because I know that this is the Gavi I know.

𝖬𝖾:
𝗈𝗄 𝗈𝗄. 𝗐𝖾𝗅𝗅 𝗍𝗒𝗌𝗆. 𝗂𝗆 𝗋𝗅𝗅𝗒 𝗅𝗈𝗈𝗄𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝖿𝗈𝗋𝗐𝖺𝗋𝖽 𝗍𝗈 𝗂𝗍

𝖦𝖺𝗏𝗂:
𝗂𝗆 𝗌𝗎𝗋𝖾 𝗎 𝖺𝗋𝖾. 𝗐𝖾 𝖼𝖺𝗇 𝗍𝖺𝗅𝗄 𝗆𝗈𝗋𝖾 𝖺𝖻𝗍 𝗂𝗍 𝗈𝗇 𝗍𝗁𝗎𝗋𝗌; 𝗂 𝗀𝗍𝗀 𝗇𝗈𝗐. 𝗈𝗁 𝗈𝗇𝖾 𝗆𝗈𝗋𝖾 𝗍𝗁𝗂𝗇𝗀- 𝗂'𝗅𝗅 𝗆𝖺𝗄𝖾 𝗌𝗎𝗋𝖾 𝗎𝗋 𝗃𝖾𝗋𝗌𝖾𝗒 𝗂𝗌 𝗌𝗂𝗀𝗇𝖾𝖽, 𝗍𝗈𝗈, 𝖿𝗈𝗋 𝗒𝗈𝗎.

Oh, how sweet he is. He has this quiet, stern, get-it-my-way-whether-you-like-it-or-not way about him, but also this strange innocence that never fails to be refreshing to me, despite the fact that I myself wouldn't really be described by many has innocent, for I have fun going to bars and getting drunk out of my mind.

On that topic, actually, I haven't been doing that as much. Some Friday nights I still go out with Charli, and it's fun, that's for sure. But Aggie has made it clear to us by now that that isn't really where her interests lie, and that she will not be joining us most of the time, anyway. And Pedri and Gavi, which are my other two friends, aren't really into that either. Gavi told me once when I asked why he never was 'in the mood' to go to the bar and drink, "Hm, I dunno. I guess I just like being with friends when I'm actually sober enough to have a normal conversation with them. Sometimes you get so drunk, you just get flat-out stupid. I'm not into being flat-out stupid."

After he said that, I thought about it, and decided that was probably a good opinion to have. It didn't change my opinion about thinking going to the bar is a blast and a great pastime, but it did make my think that I'm sure that his opinion on the matter is a lot better than mine.

So because seventy-five percent of my friends aren't even into going to the bar much, I just haven't been getting there very often. And, strangely enough, I haven't really been missing it. Which is so out of character for me.

Then my professor at the front of the class is saying, "Excuse me? Miss Escarro?"

Everyone is staring at me, and it becomes clear to me that this is not the first time that the professor has said my name. I was so lost in thoughts, just letting my thoughts go like a fast train, that I didn't even realise the teacher was calling on me.

I feel warmth and blood raise to my face, at all those eyes on me, and I sit up straighter, putting my phone back down, saying, "Yes?"

"Can you answer the question?"

I clear my throat. "I'm very sorry, but I didn't hear the question. What was it?"

A good deal of chuckles are heard throughout the room as the professor asks me the question. I quickly answer it, keeping eye contact with the professor, refusing to look at the other students.

I guess, for in the future, I'll have to be careful when it comes to thinking, and going on my phone, in class. I can do it fine. I just have to be aware of my thoughts, and be careful not to get completely lost in them like I just did.

I want to be a good, impressive student, and that cannot happen if I'm thinking instead of listening. I need to be successful, and admired. So I guess I will just have to work on that a little, right?

After classes, I go to the gym, and run off the ends of the earth, my mind going everywhere, but it feels nice. It's like just letting a raging, natural jungle grow, spreading out, and nobody cares whatsoever.

Mostly, I think about Gavi. I think about Pedri a bit. And Aggie. And Charli. But mostly, Gavi.

I'm worried about Gavi. He's doing something to me, and he doesn't know it, and it's not his fault, but I'm worried about it. He can't control it, either. In fact, it's completely my problem. And it is a problem, no matter how much other people wouldn't say it is. For me, it is a problem.

I am feeling too much attraction towards him. Sometimes I believe I'm in love. Sometimes I believe we're just friends. I notice the athletic body, the perfect brown hair, the warmest brown eyes, and the sweetest smile about him way too much. I focus on those things about him.

I focus on him way too much.

I need to stop this. Somehow, I need to figure out how to not fall in love with Gavi.