Chapter 26

𝑰 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒘𝒂𝒊𝒕. 𝑰 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝒂𝒏𝒚𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒆𝒍𝒔𝒆.

𝐀𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐈'𝐌 𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐊𝐄𝐍 𝐔𝐏 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇 𝐓𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐒 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐀𝐋𝐂𝐎𝐇𝐎𝐋, 𝐏𝐄𝐃𝐑𝐈 𝐏𝐀𝐘𝐒 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐑𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐁𝐀𝐂𝐊 𝐓𝐎 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐎𝐓𝐄𝐋. I insist I don't want to go, because Gavi might be showing up soon at the bar, but he makes me, saying, "It's already 3:00 A.M. I don't know why Gavi didn't come, because he said he would, but he didn't, and he won't be coming now. It's way too late for him. He never leaves the bar later than 1:30. He needs his sleep, as he likes to explain."

I nod, feeling a little sick as I lean my head against the window of the cab. Why didn't he come? I'm just glad I told Pedri all that. It feels like a weight- a really heavy weight- has been lifted off my chest. At least partially so.

We make it to the hotel building, and Pedri walks me to my room. Before he goes to his, I kiss his cheek and hug him, saying, "Thanks, so much, Pedri."

"Of course," he smiles softly.

As soon as I'm in my hotel room with the door closed, I crash to sleep on the bed. I have no more energy for any more thoughts.

When I wake up the next morning, I remember everything that happened. In a sober mind. But I still remember. Despite the horrible headache and uncomfortable nausea I have from being so drunk. And I have no idea what to think about it. Should I have told Pedri all that? I think I can trust him... I think it is okay I told him. I'm, honestly, though, in complete disbelief. I said some things to Pedri that I didn't even really fully realise I thought and felt about the whole situation with Gavi. Not until I just finally let it all tumble out, from my lips, straight into Pedri's heart.

I feel kind of bad for putting that weight on Pedri. He shouldn't have to deal with that... It's not his business, and now he has to worry about keeping that secret.

It suddenly jolts within me that I never actually told him not to tell Gavi! I grab my phone, which is being charged next to the bed, sit up, and open my phone, going to my texts. I'm surprised and pleased to see a text from Gavi, though, before I can think to text Pedri.

𝖦𝖺𝗏𝗂:
𝘠𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘥𝘢𝘺 𝘢𝘵 12:30
𝗁𝗂 𝗌𝗈𝗋𝗋𝗒 𝗂 𝖼𝖺𝗇𝗍 𝗆𝖺𝗄𝖾 𝗂𝗍 𝗍𝗈 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝖻𝖺𝗋 𝗍𝗈𝗇𝗂𝗀𝗁𝗍. 𝗂𝗆 𝗋𝗅𝗅𝗒 𝗍𝗂𝗋𝖾𝖽 𝖺𝖿𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗂𝗇𝗍𝖾𝗋𝗏𝗂𝖾𝗐 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝗆𝗒 𝗅𝖾𝗀𝗌 𝖼𝗋𝖺𝗆𝗉𝖾𝖽. 𝖽𝖾𝖼𝗂𝖽𝖾𝖽 𝗍𝗈 𝗃𝗎𝗌𝗍 𝗀𝗈 𝗍𝗈 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗁𝗈𝗍𝖾𝗅. 𝗂𝖿 𝗎 𝗐𝖺𝗇𝗍 𝗎 𝖼𝖺𝗇 𝖼𝗈𝗆𝖾 𝗍𝗈 𝗆𝗒 𝗋𝗈𝗈𝗆, 𝖻𝗎𝗍 𝗂'𝗅𝗅 𝖻𝖾 𝖺𝗌𝗅𝖾𝖾𝗉 𝖻𝗒 2:00 𝗌𝗈 𝗇𝗈 𝗅𝖺𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝗍𝗁𝖺𝗇 𝗍𝗁𝖺𝗍. 𝖺𝗀𝖺𝗂𝗇 𝗌𝗈𝗋𝗋𝗒. 𝗂𝗄 𝗎 𝗉𝗋𝗈𝖻 𝗋 𝗁𝖺𝗏𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝖿𝗎𝗇 𝗐 𝗉𝖾𝖽𝗋𝗂 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝗅𝖾𝗐𝗒 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝗌𝗍𝗎𝖿𝖿 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝗍𝗁𝖺𝗍𝗌 𝗀𝗈𝗈𝖽 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝖺𝗅𝗅 𝗌𝗈 𝖽𝗈𝗇𝗍 𝖿𝖾𝖾𝗅 𝗉𝗋𝖾𝗌𝗌𝗎𝗋𝖾 𝗍𝗈 𝖼𝗈𝗆𝖾 𝗈𝗏𝖾𝗋. 𝗁𝖺𝗏𝖾 𝖿𝗎𝗇.

For some reason, this text makes my stomach lurch. Ache. Ache even more than it already was aching. I sigh. I'll have to call him. I lean back into the blankets, though, and decide to call Pedri first. The phone rings for a little too long for my liking, before Pedri finally says, "Hello."

"Hi, Pedri. First, I just want to say, I remember what I said last night, and... I'm so, so sorry about that... I was drunk, and I really didn't mean to say all that," I say, getting straight to the point.

"Sure, right, well, it's okay. I'm glad you told me, because it means you trust me with that. And obviously you had to tell someone. And I'm really sorry about all that. I know I didn't say much last night about it, but all that seems... It seems really hard. Liking Gavi and all, and it seeming like he just doesn't feel the same way back, you know? I get it. It hurts. And if you ever just want to talk about it, him, or anything else, Ember, I'll happily listen. You're my friend, and I really do care. I actually felt bad, because I felt like my lack of words last night was rude... I couldn't sleep very well because of it, so I'm sorry about that. I'm glad I can talk to you now, though."

I have never been a very emotional person, but liking Gavi has been doing weird things to me, I think, because the feeling of tears at simply Pedri's words comes on me, and I have to fight back the tears. I'm so relieved. I say, "Your silence was perfect, Pedri. All I needed in that moment was for you to be there for me, and you did that. But thanks. So much. Because now, those words mean the world to me."

I can hear the bright smile in his voice. "Sure thing."

"One more thing. I'm sure you won't, but... I just want to make sure. You won't tell Gavi about any of that, right? Or anyone? Please don't tell anyone about what I said last night, okay?" I know I sound silly. Of course he won't. Pedri is trustworthy, and now I can say I know that completely.

"Of course I won't, Ember. Your words will stay with me."

I smile to myself, shaking my head. "Thanks, Pedri. You're the best."

"You're welcome. It is good to be there for my friend. Hey, also, speaking of friends, I was wondering if you would like to go to an art gallery with me today. There is one I'm interested in here in Madrid. I was thinking I might invite Lewy, Raphinha, and... maybe, just maybe, Gavi, too." There is a teasing tone in the last bit of his offer, and I grin. I won't mind if Pedri teases me about liking Gavi. As long as he doesn't tease when anyone else is in earshot.

I feel myself smiling. "Sure. That sounds great. Just a weird question, though. I know it makes sense for you to bring me and Gavi, since I'd say the three of us are pretty close friends, but I didn't think you were super close with Raphinha and Lewandowski or anything. I mean, I'm not complaining! I think it is a great idea. But why specifically them?"

"Oh, I don't know. It's nothing more than that I think they might enjoy something like that. And if they wouldn't, they sure would make it interesting, no?"

I smile more to myself, even wider, before saying with a nod to no one but myself, "Yeah, sure, Pedri. Sounds like it makes sense. Well, it also sounds good. When should I be ready?"

"I'll come by your hotel room at 2:00 P.M. I like afternoon outings."

"Alright, Pedri. I'm pumped."