Chapter 20

𝑯𝒖𝒈 𝒎𝒆 𝒖𝒏𝒕𝒊𝒍 𝑰 𝒔𝒎𝒆𝒍𝒍 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖.

𝐆𝐀𝐕𝐈 𝐈𝐒 𝐒𝐎 𝐖𝐄𝐈𝐑𝐃. I am literally only wearing a green t-shirt, high-waisted black jeans, and my circular black sunglasses on my head, holding my dark brown hair back. Casual. He's so charming and flattering. He says I look so nice, when I look pretty normal.

I wonder so, so much if Gavi likes me. Does he always go deep into the friend zone just to make it seem like he doesn't like me, because he feels as though I don't like him back? Or is he just a friend who accidentally flirts sometimes and is a real gentleman? For some reason, the second description doesn't exactly quite go well with Gavi. At least it seems to me.

Gavi turns on the radio, leaving it quiet, playing some pop rock sounding stuff. I guess I don't mind it. It sounds like a pretty general station. Maybe he just felt the silence was a little too loud.

Finally, we make it to the training site, where the bus is parked. I see many Barcelona players already on or getting in the bus. Gavi gets out of the car at the same time as me, but grabs his two bags and mine, saying, "I'll take care of these. Come on."

We walk to the bus together, and Gavi enters the bus first, putting our bags on the top shelves. I look around, and grin at all the Barcelona players already seated down. Gavi finds us two seats right next to each other. He says, "Want window seat or aisle seat?"

"Aisle," I grin. "I want to talk to the other players here."

"Perfect," he smiles. "I like to sleep against the window on long bus rides and listen to my music in my headphones. Bother the others all you want."

I roll my eyes at Gavi's introverted tenancies, getting seated in my chair. Gosh, this bus seat is comfortable. Even more comfortable than the seat in Gavi's car. And that's saying something, because Gavi's car is very comfortable.

Then I look around, but before I even have a moment to do or say anything, Pedri is there. He sits down in the seat across the aisle from me. "Hey, Ember. It's good to see you're here. Mind if I sit here across from you?"

"Not at all, Pedri. I'm glad, because other than Gavi, obviously, you're the only other one I know. I mean, of course I know of  everyone else, being a devoted Barcelona fan... But you know what I mean."

"Sure, of course. Usually I sit by Gavi. You're stealing my spot," he teases, nudging my shoulder. I giggle at my friend, hating how girlish I sound, amongst all these strong teasing men.

Then Eric Garcia walks over, stops in the aisle, and looks between me, Pedri, and Gavi, before something in his head seems to click, and he says, "Oh, yeah, right. You're Gavi's girlfriend, no?"

I blush. "No, actually, we're not dating. Just close friends." I shake his hand, smiling, though. "It's so nice to meet you, Eric."

"Oh, right," he chuckles a bit. "You are?"

"Ember Escarro."

"Nice to meet you, then, Ember," he nods, before moving to the back of the bus. I get to meet all the players before the driving of the bus even starts. They're all so interested. They all tease me, calling me Gavi's girlfriend. Gavi, who is immersed in his world of music, has no idea, but I'm sure he wouldn't be surprised at all to know their words.

Before the bus even starts, I end up getting Ansu, Ferran, Inaki, Balde, Eric, and Ronald's numbers, too, along with already having Pedri's and obviously Gavi's. They start a groupchat, which is a relief. I don't really know any of those other guys, so it'd be weird to just text them personally. Especially since, for some reason, I feel a strange loyalty for Gavi, although we obviously have nothing going on or anything.

After about an hour of driving in (mostly) quiet peace, Ter Stegen, who I haven't spoken to because he has looked pretty focused on his cell phone this whole time and who is sitting diagonal ahead of me, puts down his phone, and we accidentally catch other's eyes.

He smiles pleasantly, leaning over to speak to me, "You're the famous Ember, huh?"

"I suppose so," I chuckle, putting a hand out to shake his hand. "And you are the famous Ter Stegen. Except you're actually famous."

He nods with a smile. "So I hear you are a friend of Gavi's then?"

"Yes," I nod. "We are close friends, I would say, me and him. Nothing more, though, like many of your teammates seem to think."

He laughs, nodding. "I saw them all bothering you early. Mostly the younger ones, no?"

"Yes," I chuckle. "It's not like Lewandowski was bothering me about that or anything. The younger ones. Balde, Ansu... you know. I'm also relatively good friends with Pedri, too."

He nods. "I heard. Well, it is a pleasure to meet you. I'm glad you could join us, and I hope you enjoy your time in Madrid."

"Thank you," I nod.

He gives a quick nod back with a friendly smile, and leans back to facing the front, seeming to be talking to Lewandowski, now, who is sitting on the window seat side of him.

I am wearing Gavi's hoodie jumper with the hood up and my sunglasses down on my face, so hopefully no cameras will catch my features. I also asked that any filming people would avoid me. They agreed to that. After all, I'm not a famous footballer, am I, now?

I start feeling tired, and I honestly wish I could just lean against Gavi's shoulder and check out. I've  done so much talking and socializing, and sure, it was the best kind of socializing to be had, considering it was with a bunch of Barcelona players, but, you know, it is still exhausting.

I know that Gavi wouldn't mind me leaning against him. I've done it before. We are close enough to do that. And his strong shoulder is so comfortable. But I also know that some of the other guys here might decide to tease Gavi about it. In their eyes, it would prove that me and Gavi are dating. Although we aren't.

I smile to myself. Those guys, man. They really are all really nice guys. They really are. I'm excited for this time spent in Madrid.