Chapter 122

𝑰 𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒍 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒊𝒎𝒆 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒗𝒆𝒏 𝒊𝒔 𝒂 𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒄𝒆 𝒐𝒏 𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒉 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒚𝒐𝒖.

"𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐅𝐀𝐌𝐈𝐋𝐘 𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐖𝐒 𝐀𝐁𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐔𝐒, 𝐑𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓?" I suddenly ask in concern on our car ride.

This actually makes my boyfriend literally laugh out loud. "Yes, Ember, yes. My family does. We don't have to pretend there. They know you're my girlfriend."

"You've talked about me?"

He shrugs casually. "Maybe a little... But not really." He just turns up Una Vaina Loca.

Soon enough, we're pulling up to Pablo's house. But he says before I can think any more, "This here is my home. The one that I grew up in. The one in Barcelona is my house. This one is my home."

I nod at this. "Alright, then. It looks like a home." This comment seems to please my boyfriend, considering the cute little smile that appears on his face.

We get out together, and before we even get to the door, it is opened, and Pablo's mother appears in the doorway. "Pablo!" she calls with a laugh. "Oh, and hello, there! You must be my son's woman that he always talks about on the phone, huh?"

This makes me giggle, and I glance to him. He takes his hand out of his pocket to take my hand. "Yes, ma'am," I say to her. "I'm Pablo's girlfriend. It's so nice to meet you!"

"I'm sure you've guessed I'm his mother, then!" she smiles. "Because his sister looks much younger than me!" This makes me laugh, and the sweet woman adds, "My name is Gavinin Anasi, so you can call me whatever. But Pablo, Aurora, and their papa all just call me Mama, so you're free to do that, too."

I smile at this and nod. As we walk inside and to the nice living room, I already feel at home here more than any other place I've ever been, and this family already feels like family more than my actual one. I've always called my parents either mother and father or mom and dad, when we're in a more casual situation, which wasn't often. It feels so endearing to call her Mama. It sounds so much more intimate, close, and loving, unlike how my parents how always been. I mean, they've always been good to me, but just not really affectionate in any way.

Gavi sits down next to me on the couch and puts an arm over my shoulders, sighing in relief, as if just being in this home and environment is taking a heavy weight off his shoulder. "Mama," he says. "Are Papa and Aurora around, then?"

"Yeah, yes, of course they are!"

"Mamaaa," he says in a begging voice, which makes me giggle a little, "can you go get them for me and tell them to come to the living room and meet us?"

His mother props her hands on her hips, raising an eyebrow. "Pablo, you're a person. You can go do that yours-"

"But Mamaaa," he says again, making me giggle again, "It's been such a long car ride and these last few days have been really busy with the game and everything and I'm super tired and-"

"Alright, alright, yes," she rolls her eyes. "Just this once I'll do this for you. Want me to go to the kitchen, also, dear, and make you some hot chocolate?" she asks, turning to look at me.

"Yeah, that would be great! Thank you so much!"

She smiles. "You're so sweet."

"Can I have some too?" my boyfriend asks his mother.

"No," his mother teases with a laugh.

"Oh, come on, please!" I cut in for him.

"Alright, alright, but only because you said so."

Pablo's mouth hangs open, and he calls after is mother, "What, so you like your son's girlfriend more than your own son now? What is this?"

We can just hear his mother laugh as she goes to tell the rest of Pablo's family about us arriving. "Your mom is so sweet."

He shrugs, nodding. "I'm very thankful for my family."

I nod, leaning my head on his shoulder. "As you should be. You have a really good family, it seems."

Then who I assume is Pablo's sister and father enter the room. They both smile as soon as they see me, and Aurora speaks first, sitting down on the other side of me. Pablo's father sits down in a chair. "I'm Aurora, Pablo's sister. It's so nice to meet you. My brother never shuts up about you. I always overhear his conversations on the phone with Mama. Gosh, he just goes on and on about you and what you guys did together and how much fun you had and blah, blah, blah. The other half of the phone call he's rambling about football."

This makes me giggle, especially because of my boyfriend's annoyed reaction at his sister exposing him. I say, looking at him lovingly, "Well, that does sound like him. Doesn't it, Pablo?" I ask, giving him a little kiss on the cheek.

This makes Aurora laugh excitedly as she turns to her father, saying, "Oh my gosh, look, Papa! They're so cute, aren't they?"

Gavi's father laughs, and he says, "Has my son been good to you?"

I nod, looking at his face. He looks back at mine, saying, "I've been good to her, Papa."

"Good," he chuckles. "You better be. Well, you're Ember, then?" he asks me.

"Yes, I am."

"It's great to meet you, after all we've heard about you. I think dinner will be ready soon, but for now, do you guys want to do something? Watch television? Play a board game?"

"Can we watch television," Pablo says, and although it should be a question, it sounds more like a statement. He grabs the remote off the end table and turns on the television. He puts a Christmas classic on, and puts an arm around my waist, holding it. 

I glance to him, as he pulls me closer to him, and whisper to him, "Your family doesn't mind?"

"Mind what?" he mutters, looking me in my eyes. "Just settle down on my shoulder."

"Mind us snuggling in front of them."

"Don't be silly. Of course they don't mind."

"Oh, okay," I shrug and snuggle into him. I know that my family would be kind of annoyed and uncomfortable if I started getting all affectionate and lovey-dovey with my boyfriend in front of them. I'm started to think there are a good deal of aspects I really like about this family that I don't have, though.