Chapter 34

𝑰 𝒔𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒏𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒄𝒂𝒓𝒆𝒅. 𝑩𝒖𝒕 𝑰 𝒅𝒊𝒅 𝒄𝒂𝒓𝒆. 𝑰 𝒄𝒂𝒓𝒆𝒅 𝒂 𝒍𝒐𝒕. 𝑨𝒏𝒅 𝑰 𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒄𝒂𝒓𝒆.

𝐀 𝐖𝐄𝐄𝐊 𝐏𝐀𝐒𝐒𝐄𝐒 𝐒𝐈𝐍𝐂𝐄 𝐌𝐘 𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇 𝐀𝐆𝐆𝐈𝐄. I basically have no contact with any of my friends- girl friends or football guy friends. These past two Thursdays, obviously, I haven't gone out with Gavi.

I miss everyone terribly, but I can't bring myself to talk to any of them. I try to focus on my classes, convincing myself that they are more important than anything else, but even then, my thoughts overcome me, and I can't even focus on them.

This Thursday afternoon, I'm on my phone, on a walk. I'm typing a horrible email, trying not to fall apart. To my teachers. The fresh air is keeping the tears away.

I don't know why I'm writing this. It is like I'm slowly, one by one, taking everything important out of my life, and turning myself into a failure. But I'm telling them I'm quitting my classes. I tell them I have other plans. The most other plans I have right now is making it up to Gavi. But I don't even really know about that. I'm not quite sure how I'll even do that, man. It makes me sick just to think about it, to be honest.

I hit send, officially sending the poisonous note out to all my teachers. I'm quitting.

I'm dropping-out, in other words. Other words that I would rather not use. Because those words make me seem even more like a losing failure. They make me seem like the failing loser that I really am. They make me seem like the person that I have desperately fought against being my whole life- and been miserable because of it, too.

It is strange. I feel like all I want is to be content. To not have to worry about classes and getting good grades and getting a good job and being successful. I would love to be calm and content. And not worry anymore. But at the same time, I feel like I have to be successful- and miserable- in order to not fail myself. I don't know what any of it really means, or why. I don't like the question why though. I never have. Because I never have a good reason for it. Never a satisfying answer, to say in the least.

I'm surprised to see a text come in from Pedri. It is the first text I've gotten in about two weeks. I find a bench nearby, sitting down, and never shakily and quickly open the text. I silently wish I could have been a text from Gavi, instead. But of course not. Why would he text me now? I have been a freaking jerk to him, after all.

𝖯𝖾𝖽𝗋𝗂:
𝗁𝖾𝗒 𝖾𝗆𝖻𝖾𝗋 𝖼𝖺𝗇 𝗒𝗈𝗎 𝖼𝖺𝗅𝗅 𝗋𝗇
𝖳𝗁𝖾 𝗍𝗁𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝖨 𝗐𝖺𝗇𝗇𝖺 𝗍𝖺𝗅𝗄 𝖺𝖻𝗈𝗎𝗍 𝗂𝗌 𝗄𝗂𝗇𝖽 𝗈𝖿 𝗁𝖺𝗋𝖽 𝗍𝗈 𝖾𝗑𝗉𝗅𝖺𝗂𝗇 𝗂𝗇 𝗍𝖾𝗑𝗍𝗂𝗇𝗀

I click the call button at the top of his contact. He picks up almost right away with, "Oh, awesome, so you can call?" He sounds like he's in a pretty good mood, at least.

"Yeah, I can. 'S'up?"

"I, uh... I talked to Gavi."

I don't know what, but something is suddenly lodged in my throat. I swallow my nervousness, before saying shakily, "Tell me about the whole thing, then. I have got all the time in the world for this."

"Alright, good. So I took Gavi out to somewhere quite when he seemed like in a pretty alright mood, and I started talking to him. I told him that you like him. He said he liked you," I want to scream. I feel my whole body getting sweaty again, like Gavi does to me. "A lot. He went into it, but it is already pretty disloyal to him for me to be telling you this, so I don't feel it is right for me to tell you everything he said. Either way, he said he really liked you. I told him that you're just upset that he acts like he likes you, and then doesn't act on it. I just told him he should consider... acting on his emotions. He asked me how... He seemed kind of uncomfortable and awkward with the conversation. I told him he should just get alone with you, look you right in the eyes, hold your hands, and tell you he loves you like he really feels. He was in disbelief that you really liked him at all, and when he finally accepted my words, he... I know he wouldn't cry over something like that, but I saw him trying to casually wipe his eyes. He was so freaking happy, Ember. So happy. It was honestly beautiful to see," he sounds so excited. "So I think you might be getting a text, soon, hopefully, if he listened to anything I said. A text asking to go out with you. And maybe you'll finally get the invitation you've been waiting for so long, Ember!" There is a beautiful, excited, fun, lighthearted, laugh in Pedri's voice. And boy, does he sound like a winner.

Well, I feel like a winner, that's alright.

I cry.

I just do. 

"Pedri," I blubber. "Thank you so freaking much... I can't believe this... I think my heart is about to leap out of my chest... It is finally true... I... He really loves me... He's going to ask me out... Oh my God, Pedri, you're the best friend ever! Why aren't you here, so I can hug you as tightly as I'd love to right now?! This is so great!!!"

I can't freaking wait for that text from Gavi that I'm anticipating.

~ Author's Note ~

OH. My. GOODNESS. I haven't written one of these in too long. I hope you've been enjoying, AND THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SO MANY READS, MY GOODNESS!!! You guys are great! I have so many good plans for this fan fiction. Yeah, you've got that right. This isn't even the beginning of the beginning. Sure, I'm 33 chapters in, but that's okay, right? Just means it is more for us all to enjoy, no?!

Also, fricking Pedri the Matchmaker over here 😂😂😂