Chapter 44

𝑺𝒉𝒐𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒈𝒉 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕, 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒚𝒐𝒖'𝒓𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒍𝒂𝒎𝒆, 𝒅𝒂𝒓𝒍𝒊𝒏𝒈.

𝐀𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐖𝐄 𝐅𝐈𝐍𝐈𝐒𝐇 𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐁𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐊𝐅𝐀𝐒𝐓, 𝐆𝐀𝐕𝐈 𝐀𝐒𝐊𝐒 𝐌𝐄 𝐈𝐅 𝐈'𝐌 𝐁𝐔𝐒𝐘 𝐓𝐎𝐃𝐀𝐘. I shake my head after a moment of thinking, responding with simply, "No." I decide to leave out the part that I quit classes and that I am now working in a little coffee shop that isn't open on Fridays. I give him a little smile, then raise my eyebrows in interesting surprise, saying, "But do you not have training today?"

"No, you're right, I have training, but it is later on in the day on Fridays. I have to head out at about 1:30 P.M. to get there in time for the start of training at 2:00 P.M. Believe it or not, I live relatively close. But... if you have nothing going on, we should spend time together this morning. It's already 10:30 A.M., since I slept in so late, since I didn't sleep at all last night. But just this late morning and early afternoon? Only if you'd like to, of course."

I smile at him. "Sometimes you really do have a lot to say, Gavi. Sure. I'd love to stay here, in fact."

I nods, his crooked smile quirking up. "Nice. You said you explored the house last night? Is there any place or thing you saw that you particularly want to go or do?"

I think a few seconds, before deciding on, "There was this one telly room that was really comfortable looking. It wasn't as big. Maybe we should just... oh, I don't know. Watch a movie together? If you don't want to, though, that's fine."

"No, no, I actually would really like to," he suddenly beams. "I love that room, because it's smaller. What's your favorite movie? I likely have it. I have got a lot of movies."

"Okay, this is kind of a weird choice, but it has always been a favorite Spanish movie. It's kind of old... Do you have Viridiana?"

"Oh! Uh, let me go check... I watched that movie years ago, in some hangout with all my teammates when I was like in middle school. Why... why the hell is that your favorite?" he suddenly asks. He doesn't seem mad or unimpressed- just really, seriously surprised.

I shrug, embarrassed. "I hate it so much, I like it. It's so... weird. It always sparks my interest."

"Man, are you the type to be into mystery novels and old poets and hot tea and black cats and whispers in the wind and raining outside a library and autumn and black and white pictures?" he smiles as he describes all these things, and I giggle softly.

"Kind of. I've never been the type to act like I like those things, but I suppose I do. I love murder telly series and strange old movies. Out of all those things you just mentioned, I think the only one I'm not into is old poets. I hope you don't mind a girl who really is like that. I mean, don't worry. I also like success and football and getting drunk and having fun and going out. I'm still the Ember you know."

He grins, then stands up, saying, "I want to talk to you. Let's go to the telly room, though, and get snuggled up together." I love how blatantly he says that. He's not afraid to say he wants to cuddle with me. I like that. He leads me to the room, and we cuddle up together on the lounge couch, blankets and pillows enveloping us. He puts his arm around my shoulders, and I lean into his chest. Once we're settled, after a few seconds of silence, he says, "Anyway, back to the topic of conversation from before. I love a girl like that. You're so calm and beautiful. Quietness is just such a beautiful thing. Your peace makes you beautiful. Your striving to learn more and be successful is admirable. And your interest in books and murder cases and rainy days? I think that's just adorable. It makes you tough, too, though, doesn't it?"

I look up at him in interest at this comment. "Whatever do you mean by that?"

"I don't know. You've got to be a bit of a tough girl to like reading about murder and watching shows about strange, surreal things. I like that."

I laugh. "Oh, gosh, Pablo, that's a relief."

"Huh? Why?"

"That is a part of me that I have always loved, but it stays in the background. I let the other things I like shine out more, because they help me to relate to other people. Same with you. I, honestly, was afraid you'd think I was weird if you knew I liked that sort of stuff. I just didn't say or think it, because it honestly wasn't in my conscious mind. Isn't that a bit funny?"

He shrugs. "A bit, I suppose so," he nods. "But I've got funny things, too."

"Tell me about those things."

He glances down at me, looking a bit surprised at my short demand. "Huh?" he says stupidly, which makes me laugh.

"Tell me about some of the funny things about yourself that you wouldn't tell me because you'd be afraid they'd make me dislike you. Trust me, there is no way to make me stop liking you. And besides, I just told you, so it's only fair you tell me some things, no?"

He chuckles a bit at this comment. Not because it's funny, but because he's happy, which makes me happy. "Oh, uh, I don't know... I'm not very interesting. Well, okay. I really like playing cards... I used to play with Aurora when we were little kids, and I still get nostalgia when I play cards. I don't really, though, because it seems like an old man kind of hobby. Uh, what else do I like...? Stargazing. That's what I did last night. Another thing... Well, oh, never mind..."

"What, Gavi?" I ask, now very interested.

"No, no," he says, some strange faint gone look coming to his eyes. "It's... I wouldn't want to turn something lighthearted into... something else. So it's good," The happiness comes back to his eyes. "It's really nothing. And you'll just think I'm snotty for it, anyway. 'Cuz I kind of am snotty for it, honestly."

I cup his cheeks in my hands, looking straight into his brown eyes, saying with all the seriousness in the world, "Gavi, tell me. I care."