Liam- for ib1sunshine

"Liam Payne?"

 I looked up from the magazine I was peering down at, meeting the soft brown eyes of the doctor standing at the top of the waiting room.

"Do you want us to come in and hold your hand Lili?" Niall cooed teasingly, moving a piece of hair off my face in a motherly way for extra emphasis. I rolled my eyes and smacked his hand away with an amused smile, "shut up."

"Snappy" Louis chuckled.

I put the magazine on the top of the pile and got to my feet.

"Right this way Mr Payne" the doctor gestured to the hall.

"Right then, see you lads on the other side" I waved and headed off after the doctor. Harry yelled after me, something about it being okay if I needed to cry, so I quickly flipped the lot of them off as I disappeared around the corner.

I followed the small middle-aged doctor into what had to have been her office and said thank you when she offered me a seat. It was super soft, right up until the gravelly arms of the thing.

"So, I'm Doctor Kallie. What can I do you for today?" She asked, tapping her fingers on her desk. I got the feeling that she was in a bit of a rush. Couldn't blame her, she was the only doctor in this place today and there was quite a few people in the waiting room.

"Uh, I've see a doctor back home already about this, it's just a few moles on my hand. He said if they got any bigger that I would need to them frozen, so, here I am" I scratched the back of my neck awkwardly. I'd never quite gotten over the fact that I was an adult now and when I went to see a doctor Mum wasn't there to answer all the questions for me. I still felt like a little kid.

"Ah, I see..." Doctor Kallie typed a few words into her computer, "yeah, your records are here. Right, I'll go get the liquid nitrogen and we'll get right into it. I'll be back in a few" she hit a single key and stood up, her heels clacking loudly as she hurried out of the room.

I tapped my foot impatiently.  Apart from a small wart I'd had done with a kid I didn't really have any experience with this whole freezing thing. According to Mum I'd screamed so loudly she was surprised my lungs didn't just come out my throat and gripped her hand so hard she thought I'd broken it. I figured I was a man now, I could deal with a bit of pain. I wasn't scared or nervous or anything.

Doctor Kallie came back, instantly placing the canister down on the seat next to mine and crouching down in front of me. She had a toothpick with some sort of cotton wad stuck to the end.

"I'm going to hold this in place on each spot for a little over ten seconds. It's going to hurt a fair amount, but I'm sure you'll be able to tolerate it just fine" Doctor Kallie nodded as she pressed the cotton inside the canister. She pulled it out and took my hand in hers, wasting no time at all in pressing it down against my skin.

The first few seconds were okay, then it started stinging and the last few seconds made me want to pull my hand away. It was kind of like touching an oven tray right out of the oven. Doctor Kallie was right though, I could handle it.

She asked me few questions as she did the next, and then took my other hand to freeze off the last.

"There you go, not too bad I hope?" She dropped my hand and chucked the toothpick into the bin, peeling off the pair of gloves she'd been wearing.

My hands were throbbing, but I just shook my head and smiled, glad to just have it over with. Everyone had been bugging me about getting it done for ages, so it was like a weight off my shoulders.

"That's good. I guess we're all finished in here then. Go out to the front to pay and then you're good to go" she waved awkwardly.

"Thanks" I smiled one last time and slipped out the door.