Zayn- for hollyc191

"Now is really not a good time to be getting sick Malik." I raised an eyebrow at him all folded over the bench with his head resting in his arms. It wasn't a very reassuring position, considering all the sniffling and dry coughing I'd heard throughout the past couple of hours. It hadn't effected the concert we'd just played but it had definitely effected him. The moment we were out of sight of all the people and cameras he'd practically fallen asleep on his feet and suddenly appeared a whole lot sicker than he had up on stage. I would have to remember how well he could act when he wanted to.

"Believe me, I know," he replied croakily, not even lifting his head up.
It was concert after concert for the next three nights which was hard enough on a healthy system.
Louis rubbed his back, "I'm sure it's just a case of the sniffles, you'll sleep it all off tonight Mate. Don't worry about it."
"It has been kinda cold," Liam shrugged in agreement.
Zayn coughed into his shoulder and let out a heavy sigh, "I'm going to bed..."

Harry snorted, "it's like ten o'clock, old man." He earned himself a glossy glare out of Zayn, "shut up."

"We'll try keep quiet," I grinned as he trudged by. With a nod he clambered into his bunk and disappeared.

"Quiet?" Louis repeated doubtfully.
"Yes, it's just one night, we can do it," I rolled my eyes playfully, "let's watch something."
"Oh, I'll make popcorn!"
"Shut up!"

***

After the movie finished we all just went to bed seeing as there was nothing else to do and we were in for a busy next few days anyway. A fair bit of driving, but there were a few interviews and a photoshoot somewhere along the way that wouldn't be fun if we were all only half conscious.

It fell silent pretty quickly after all the rustling of duvets quieted down. Zayn was sniffling a bit but it was hardly noticeable and after checking through everything on my phone I rolled over and hugged my pillow into my chest to try and get to sleep.

An hour later and it wasn't working, plus Zayn had started coughing again. I must've been over tired, or not adjusted to the feeling of the bus beneath me but for the life of me I just could not fall asleep. I felt wide awake as if it was the middle of the day rather than the middle of the night.

I frowned at the sound of footsteps. Who was up? Someone else must've been struggling to sleep as well. I checked the time on my phone and then got up out of bed, careful not to wake anybody else. They would not be happy.

Zayn was out in the main part of the bus sipping wearily at a bottle of water while leaning his hip heavily against the bench. His eyes weren't even open and I scared him enough for a few drops of water to lap over the sides of his bottle when I spoke, "can't sleep either I take it?"

He put the water down, "fuck, you scared me Ni."
I smiled apologetically before noticing how ill he looked, "sorry, I didn't mean to. Hey, are you feeling alright? You look pretty deathly Z."
He gulped and looked away, "it's fine, I'm fine, feels fine."
"Well, that's believable..." I muttered to myself. Zayn got sick a lot, it was like a quirk of his, but he never really attempted to deny it like this. He was acting strange.
I opened up the little fridge to grab myself my own water, watching Zayn out of the corner of my eye. He was rubbing at his chest uneasily, head down and hanging miserably. Poor lad, must be feeling proper awful.
"There's probably some coughing meds in one of these cupboards," I pointed out helpfully, gesturing at the rowsof cupboards edging the walls of the bus. I yawned and smiled dopily, hopefully that was a sign I'd actually be able to go to sleep next time I closed my eyes.
Zayn sighed at the mention of meds, "I probably should try something, I don't wanna keep the rest of you up."
I rolled my eyes with a quiet chuckle, "the other three are sleeping like logs, no need to worry about them, and I'm just having a weird night. Come on then, I'll help ya search."