Harry's kid sick- for storiesoftheseven

It was four a clock in the afternoon and the house was deathly silent. It was weird and I wasn't sure whether I liked it or not. Usually everyone was home by four, Mara would be chatting her head off about something that happened at school that day and my parents would be arguing over what to cook for dinner. Instead I was sitting all alone on the couch, wondering if it was going to be this quiet the entire time.

I pursed my lips and tapped my foot, bored. I'd gotten back from school hardly ten minutes ago and already I was struggling to entertain myself. I was supposed to be studying, that's why I fought so much with Mum and Dad about going to Mara's silly gymnastics competitions halfway across the country. But studying was so. . . I wasn't keen, now that the time had actually come. The test wasn't until the end of the week anyway, it was only Monday. I'd give myself tonight and then get cracking tomorrow, hopefully.

I sighed and turned the TV on until it got late enough to start putting together something for dinner. Two minute noddles were on the menu, two cups of them. Halfway through the second cup my phone started ringing. I glanced over at it and rolled my eyes. It was just Dad again. I was too stubborn to answer his calls, or mums texts.
There'd been a big argument yesterday morning when I was supposed to being leaving with everyone to Mara's competition, the one I didn't even know about until Mum was in my room dragging me out of bed and telling me to pack a bag. Needless to say, I wasn't happy. I wasn't interested in going at all, despite the time I'd get out of school. I really did have a physics test Friday, but I more used it as an excuse to not go.

Mum and Dad were yelling, I was yelling, and then they decided I was sixteen years old and mature enough to stay home by  myself for the week. It was more of a desperate choice, I think that if they weren't so mad they never would have left me. They didn't trust me that much

And now they wouldn't quit trying to check in on me.
This time the ringing didn't stop. Every time my phone went to voicemail it would starting ringing again moments later.
I couldn't stand it so I finally answered, yelled a quick and exasperated, 'I'm fine!' And then hung up.

That night when I went to bed I forgot to set an alarm and slept in until 8:30, far too used to being woken by mum in the mornings. Yesterday I'd slept in too, but not this late. I was mumbling to myself and rushing around for just five minutes before I was out the door and on my bike on the way to school, a piece of toast in one hand. By the time I got to school I was all sweating, gross, and breathing like I'd just run a marathon.
Somehow though, I made it to class a split second before the bell rang.

Georgia and Kade both raised eyebrows at me as I fell into my seat with a huff, tossing my bag onto the floor.

"How was your second night on your own Jack?" Kade asked cautiously.
"Boring," I replied bluntly, "really boring. And I slept in again."

"I would love to be by myself at home," Georgia said, smiling dreamily. If I had seven siblings like she did I'd probably appreciate the quiet more too.

The teacher shushed everyone and started the lesson, slipping into that same monotone all teachers did.

The day went by incredibly slowly and with ever minute that passed I grew more and more tired. I still hasn't cooled down from biking to school and for some reason lunch was difficult to stomach. Georgia took me aside and told me I was acting funny and she wouldn't stop asking me if I was alright. I thought I was, until I got on my bike to go home.

I felt funny, hot, tired, and kind of sick to my stomach. When I finally did get home I sat on the couch for only five minutes, trying to figure out what was going on, until a familiar lurch in my tummy sent me barrelling to the bathroom with a palm clapped over my mouth.
There was no holding it back and everything I'd eaten quite literally poured out of me with every sickening wave of nausea. I groaned as my phone started ringing from the place I'd left it on the coffee table.