Harry- for masteroftimeandbooks

Being the youngest of One Direction definitely had it's advantages. Decisions tended to work in my favor a lot of the time and occasionally I could even get out of events if I wanted, because I was 'tired', or 'needed a break.'

Often, I forgot about the age gap between us lads. I wasn't that much younger after all.

There were just certain times, like now, that it frustrated me.

Alcohol never excited me but being in an environment where it was a given, and I was getting strange looks for not carrying around a glass, the desire for the burning sensation as I swallowed nipped at the edges of my mind every time I saw someone else take a sip.

Alcohol didn't even taste that good, I just didn't want to stick out in the crowd anymore.

"Can't you just grab me one drink? Please?" I begged Louis, wiping my empty hands on my pants. I'd been offered lemonade but turned it down. The only thing worse than being empty handed at a gala was carrying around a soft drink like somebody's child.

"You know I can't Haz. None of us can. You're not legal here, and the media will have a fit if they get any footage of you drinking illegally," Louis replied, paraphrasing the answer he'd been giving me since we got here.

I groaned. All I was missing was the friggin' lollipop at this point.

America sucks. Stupid drinking age.

Liam laughed and hit my shoulder, "gonna pitch a fit Haz? You're going a bit red in the face."

"Shut up," I rolled my eyes, resisting to knock his drink out of his hand. Obnoxious asshole.

The next half hour passed incredibly slowly. Nobody was getting proper wasted as this was an adult event, fundraising for a good cause, but at the same time the liquor was supplying a general buzz inside everyone there while I stood on the outside, as if encased in a plastic bubble. I tried my best to get in to the mood but no matter what I did I felt excluded, like I wasn't really there.

"Grab a lady Harry, let's dance," Niall called as the music became louder and people began gravitating toward the open space.

It didn't take long for an elderly lady to decide I was what she wanted. As I lead her around in time with the music she told me that she too wasn't drinking. For her it was for medical reasons, and she was in a much better mood than I was. Her old age had given her a flair of fearlessness and if I hadn't known better I would've thought she was verging on tipsy.

I wished I could have the same bounce but I just wasn't feeling it. We were due to take the stage in a couple of hours too, compared to the hype the others had built I was going to be pathetic.

After dancing with a few different people I followed after the boys back to the open bar, scuffing my feet and scowling at the floor. They got their drinks and then we got trapped in a lengthy conversation with another group of people about being in a band and such, as well as their recent holiday to France.

Unfortunately the topic of my unfortunate age came up and I had to awkwardly explain that I wasn't quite 21. Cue the cheek pinching and cooing and I'd had enough.

"I'm gonna go find a bathroom," I said to Liam.

"We'll wait for you here," he replied, "don't get lost or nothing."

I spun on my heel, holding in my frustration. I wasn't some little kid roaming the supermarket, bound to go missing. Babysitting services were no longer needed, I was an adult.

Screw the bathroom I was going to go find some old dude willing to sneak me a drink. A lady would do too. Surviving the night was going to be impossible without it.