Harry diabetes- for xoxojanineoxox

"Are you feeling any better Harry? It's lunch time, your friends might be wondering where you are."

I forced my eyes open and sighed heavily, knowing that they definitely would be wondering where I was and one of the first places they'd look would be here.

Swinging my legs over the side of the bed and running a shaky hand through my messed up hair I nodded to the nurse and picked my bag up off the floor beside my feet, "I think I'll be okay."

I hated my friends knowing when I had lows. It was bad enough that they knew I was diabetic in the first place, if I'd had it my way they wouldn't have been told but my parents thought it would be better if something did happen one day.

"Come back if you start feeling funny again, we'll have another lay down," Mrs Kohna, the school nurse, said with a kind smile.

"Will do," I nodded wearily as I ducked out the front door, letting the door close behind me. Massaging my throbbing temples I started my walk out to the field where I knew my friends would be waiting for me to turn up.

Honestly, I wasn't feeling great. This whole diabetes thing was a fairly new development and we were still trying to figure out insulin amounts that worked for me. It had been particularly rough in the last week but usually I dropped at night and woke up in a sweat, this was the first time I'd felt like this in school and I was embarrassed about it. It didn't matter how many people told me not to be, I felt like I was sticking out like a sore thumb and I hated all the extra attention.

"Hey, Harry! Where were you at?" Louis grinned cheerfully as I drew close to our usual lunch spot on a creaky wooden picnic table on the edge of the field.

"Got held in, had to finish something," I said as I sat down, trying to keep my voice steady in it's usual tone. Lying wasn't something I did often, but everything inside of me was so against telling this single truth and the lies just rolled off my tongue as if a recount of what had actually happened. The very last thing I wanted was to spark up a conversation about my diabetes. No thank you.

Sitting there, I felt kind of light-headed. It wasn't too bad but I knew that even after eating everything Mrs Kohna made me eat before going to sleep I was still running on low. I couldn't pull out the container of jellybeans I had at the bottom of my bag because the boys would realise right away what was going on and that was the exact opposite of what I wanted.

"Harry. . ."

A hand waved in front of my face and I jumped, almost falling backwards off my seat. My heart raced uncomfortably in my chest and my mouth opened a closed a few times silently.

"Glad you could come back down to earth." Niall laughed.

I forced a smile and chuckled too, shrugging apologetically, "I was just thinking. What were you saying?"

"I was trying to ask you about what you're going to do your project on next period," Liam said, eyes wide and expectant, "my group and I are thinking about doing something to do with child labour but I. . ."

His voice trailed off as I got lost again in my own thumping mind, social studies. We were starting a group project today. Great.

I buried my shaking hands in my pockets and tried to nod at the right times as Liam rambled on for a couple more minutes.

"So, what about you?"

I licked my lips, "I don't know. Louis' taking the lead on this one."

Liam spun to face Louis and they continued with the conversation.