hopelessdirectioner9's winning contest entry:

To make it clear, this is not my writing. This is a piece that won the contest I held a couple of months back!

Harry made his way to the bunks to check on Louis. It wasn't unusual for their eldest band member to nap, he loved his sleep, but it was unusual for him to sleep for more than an hour in the middle of the afternoon. It was now verging on two and a half hours since he had retreated to the bunks, and Harry was worried. Louis sleeping this long usually meant he was ill, and the tour bus was currently half an hour away from the venue at which they had soundcheck followed by a concert this evening. However, Harry couldn't help but hold on to the hope that Louis wasn't ill, but just more tired than usual, or perhaps making the use of the time alone to call his mum or sister or something.

When he pulled open the curtains of Louis' bunk, he knew instantly that the Doncaster lad was poorly. He was covered in sweat, curled up in a tight ball with a grimace on his face, which was barely visible as it was half covered with a pillow.

"Lou?" Harry whispered, in case the boy was asleep, though by his expression, it seemed unlikely. "You awake?"

The only response from the miserable looking lump was a whine, followed by a moan.

"Louis, can you look at me, bud? Tell me what's wrong?" Harry wasn't normally an over affectionate person, but when his bandmates were ill or needed comfort, he could instantly transform into a very caring friend.

Louis moved the pillow so that it was no longer obstructing his face, revealed tear-streaked cheeks and a pale face. He opened his eyes and whimpered pitifully, "Haz...m'sick," before bursting into tears.

After several years of touring together, the boys had inevitably seen each other feeling under the weather multiple times, and Harry knew by now that a teary Louis usually meant a feverish Louis. Sure enough, when he put his hand on Louis' forehead, it was warm, much too warm.

"Shit," he muttered under his breath. He was well aware of their commitments for that day, and he knew it was probably too late to get Louis out of anything. Well, he could probably sit out of soundcheck, but unless he was really sick, there was no way he would be allowed to skip the concert.

"Li," he called. "Can you c'mere please?" Harry wasn't the best with illness; while he was great at cuddling and soothing, he wasn't particularly sure how to physically care for sickness. Before Liam appeared, though, there came a rustle and another whine from the apparent ball of misery on the bunk.

"Harry!" Louis exclaimed raspily, hands clutching at his abdomen. "M'stomach!" His face paled suddenly and hurriedly attempted to push himself upright just as Liam came into the space.

"What...oh, Louis!" His confusion at being summoned quickly turned into concern for the clearly ill lad in front of him. "Ni, grab a bucket, please!" He called loudly before rushing forward to assist Louis into a sitting position. The ill boy lurched suddenly, one shaky hand flying up to cover his mouth.

"Shit. Niall, hurry!"

Finally, Niall appeared, bucket in hand, and bewilderment written on his face. "What do you need this...oh, here," he said, quickly shoving the bucket in front of Louis as he realised what was going on. When Louis gagged and lurched forward again, Liam and Harry both now sitting at his sides,  helping him to hold the bucket, Niall paled. "I'll just, uh..." He waved his hand awkwardly before bolting out to the front room, knowing that he wasn't very good at all with vomit, and would likely throw up instantly if he watched Louis.

Harry rubbed Louis' back as his friend rocked uncomfortably, still crying. "I don't wanna-" his cry was cut off with a retch, and he threw himself forward over the bucket just in time to vomit thickly, the revolting substance splattering against the plastic bottom of the bucket. Harry had to fight the urge to flee, or at least look away, opting instead to continue rubbing the ill boy's back and and murmur quiet reassurances.