Niall sick- for Reindeermilk

"Got time for a game of footie lads?"

"Hell yeah!" Louis leaped out of the couch, positively excited with his eyes sparkling and bulging from there sockets. "We've got tons of time!"

"Race you lot out to the park," Harry called, rushing out through the ranch-slider. A giggle burst from my mouth when he kicked his toe on the lip of the door and hopped the few steps from the deck before bounding across the lawn and vanishing through the gap in the tall trees that divided the property and the park. Louis nudged the football up from it's spot in the corner of the room and then took off after him.

Liam's warm hand landed on my chest as I jogged over to the door, stopping me.

I rubbed my nose, "what?"

"It's cold out, and you're already sick. You should grab a jersey at least," Liam said, trying to push me backwards. I stood my ground.

"I'm not sick."

Liam's warm tawny eyes circled and he sighed as he retracted his hand, "whatever you say Nialler. Still, jersey?"

His muscled arms stuck out from the short sleeves of his T-shirt, crossed over his chest as he stood guard in front of the ranch-slider.

Childish stubbornness and spite caused me to shake my head, "nope, it's not cold."

I nimbly slid outside through the gap he'd left and then chased after Louis and Harry before he could stop me. Admitting to being sick sucked, especially when I wasn't even sick in the first place. No one else was wearing a jersey, why had Liam chosen me to go all mother hen on?

Once out on the park I darted between Louis and Harry and swiped the ball from them, dribbling into the corner as Liam approached our wide circle.

I made sure to turn away as I sniffled and sneezed twice, not wanting to give Liam the satisfaction. The autumn air was ever so slightly cooler than I'd anticipated, it was making my nose run. I wasn't sick.

"Go inside if you're not feeling well Ni, I can take these two on my own," Liam murmured as we lined up in the centre of the field, the ball trapped under my foot.

I snorted, "no you can't, and I'm not sick!"

"I heard you sniffling and sneezing all night, dork."

"Are we ever going to start?" Louis complained, stomping his feet. Harry kicked the back of his knee teasingly. As the continued with their playfighting Liam swiped the ball from beneath my shoe and took off down the field, straight past the two loser rolling in the grass. I ran after him lazily, choosing to ignore the hot air I was breathing, and how much my throat ached from the cold.

At the last second Liam booted me the ball and I gave it one last tap, "goal!"

Louis' head poked up from the pile of limbs still tangled in the middle of the field. I chuckled as he whacked Harry's leg and yanked him to his feet, pointing at Liam and I standing triumphant beside the goalposts.

"Not fair!" Harry yelled, "we weren't ready!"

"It's on now, you cocky pricks!"

The game went on for the best of a half hour before I ran out of energy and lost all enthusiasm. I couldn't be bothered, win or lose I didn't care anymore. However, Liam was still watching me like a hawk, patiently waiting for me to give in and let him take me inside for a hot shower and a dose of cold and flu.

I coughed and slowed my run to a jog, letting Liam chase after Louis. The thought of a hot shower made my numb fingers and toes buzz with excitement but the larger part of me wouldn't give in to Liam, I couldn't let him think that he was right when he wasn't. I wasn't sick, and I would deny it as many times as it took to get him off my back.