Part I - Prologue

~ Nine years ago

☆Alexis' POV

We’d been driving for about seven thousand years.

Or at least that’s how it felt.

My brother, Maxwell, drives slower than our grandmothers.
Then again, our grandmothers are hip and cool and don't drive this slow.

Mia sits next to him in the passenger seat with her feet up on the dashboard. And I sit in the backseat with my mother who is fast asleep. Even when she sleeps, she looks alert, like at any second she can wake up and direct traffic.

“Go faster,” Mia urges Max, poking him in the shoulder. “Let’s pass that kid on the bike.”

Max shrugs her off.

“Never touch the driver,” he says. “And take your dirty feet off my dashboard.”

I giggle as Mia wiggles her toes back and forth. She did not joke about her cuticle care.

“It’s not your dashboard, Mr. And if it’s going to anyone's car soon, it’s gonna be mine. You know as I'm the oldest.”

“By like half a second.”

“It’s more than half a second, pee brain. And even if it was, I'm still older. And so this is going to be my car.”

“If you ever get your license,” Max scoffs. “People like you shouldn’t even be allowed to drive.”

“Hey, look,” I say, pointing out the window as I push my glasses further up my nose. “That guy in a wheelchair just lapped us.”

Mia laughs.

“See? Even baby can tell what a slow driver you are.”

“Mia, you've got to stop calling her that. She's almost twelve now.”

“Yeah well, she's still our baby so” Mia smiles at me.

She starts to fiddle with the radio till she finds her favorite station, the one that plays everything from pop to oldies to hip-hop. She starts singing along to one of her favorite songs and I sing right along with her.

Max catches my eye through the rearview mirror and smiles my way. When Mia sings louder, he frowns and reaches over to switch stations.

“Hey!” Mia slaps his hand away.

“Mia, your voice makes me want to run this car into the ocean” He pretends to swerve right.

I giggle and she sings even louder, which wakes up our mother, and she starts to sing too. Max groans out loud and shakes his head. He hated being outnumbered. It was what bothered him most about our dad not always being around because of his Alpha job. He hated being the only guy, without our dad to take his side.

“Hi, sweetheart. You feeling okay?” Mom asks, kissing my forehead.

I smile up at her and nod.

“Yeah.”

“Are you hungry? Would you like anything to eat?”

“I packed a snack, Mommy” I pat my backpack.

“Okay. Go on then.”

I open my bag and fish through for the less chewy stuff as it would get stuck in my braces and mom would fuss about it.

Potato chips!

I pull it out and tug on the film but it doesn't open.

C'mon, c'mon.