ONE

It was a late night in December 2001 when Tony Stark was getting ready to leave for a night out

The 31 year old was ready to spend Christmas like he did every year: drink until he could no longer remember where he was, let alone what day it was but those plans were hindered when he opened the door to his mansion, only to freeze when he saw what was in the doorway.

"Jarvis. Why is there a baby on my doorstep?"

"It appears that child was left there rather hastily by a mysterious brunette just about ten minutes ago."

"And you didn't think to warn me or stop her?"

"You muted me for the night."

"God dammit," Tony mumbled, crouching down the the carseat nervously, "Please don't be a baby. Please don't be a baby. Maybe it's a doll. Yeah. A doll. A very fake and not real-"

He cursed under his breath when he removed the blanket and, surely enough, a baby that looked to be no older than a week sat there quietly, her big brown eyes wide in interest.

Tony felt his heart stop, although he wasn't about to admit that to his security detail who emerged from inside the house, watching his every move.

"Hey little one," he whispered, reaching over her anxiously, "Don't mind me. I'm just gonna grab this."

Taking the note that was resting on her blanket, Tony felt his breath hitch the second he opened it.

It was a letter, the first sentence reading: This is your daughter Tony.

When I first found out I was pregnant, I immediately wanted to abort it. I never planned on being a mother and I never wanted to be one but I couldn't go through with it. Still, I wasn't ready to be one in the end. Adoption came up as an option but I thought why not give her to who she truly belongs with: you. Now, I don't want to force you into fatherhood either so if it turns out you don't want her, don't worry. I didn't sign any paperwork or tell anyone who the father was. If you do decide to be her father though- she's all yours. Attached is the paperwork you have to turn into the hospital for her birth certificate. You have 14 days to decide.

Good luck, Tony.

"We can just take her to an adoption center, sir. No one will ever know she's yours."

Tony shook his head though, "It's um... it's already late. Just-"

He hesitated but still reached over to pick up the carseat, carefully carrying her inside.

"Do me a favor and run to whatever furniture store is open. I need a crib. She can't be sleeping in this thing all night. Bribe whatever you need to to get someone to open up for you."

"Sir... what about the party?"

Tony hesitated but looked down at the baby, seeing her now watching him with that same interest in her eyes that she had outside.