THIRTY SIX

"You have to let me

"You have to let me."

"Excuse me? We don't have to let you do anything."

"She's right, kiddo. We're the parents here. We decide."

When Pepper got a late night call from Tony, she expected to just talk more about their relationship and how to fix it- she didn't expect to see her daughter on the video call with her begging to go to Germany on a mission.

"Do the kids really have no power here?" Dylan suddenly asked as she stepped out from her hiding spot where she was tried to eavesdrop.

"No! Until you girls are eighteen, we're the ones who make the rules of the house."

"Jeez, Tony. I thought you'd at least be a cooler dad."

Tony gasped at Dylan, "Bullshit! I'm the coolest parent in the world! And I'll prove it to you- Lennon you can-"

"Seriously, Tony? Do you really still fall for that trick? The girls have you all figured out, honestly. I don't know how you do it-"

"I have been the perfect daughter my entire life," Lennon interrupted her.

"Lennon-"

"Dad tried to shower me with gifts, I rejected them all. I was expected by the tabloids to be this spoiled heiress and I've proved them wrong-"

"And we commend you for that."

"Don't I deserve a reward?"

"I'll get you a puppy."

"I don't want a puppy," she groaned.

"I do! Can I have one?" Dylan grew excited.

"Yes."

"No."

The parents exchanged looks before Pepper sighed, shaking her head.

"Lennon, I get that you want to be rewarded for being good but going to a fight isn't one we can give you."

"I'm not even asking to fight necessarily- I won't even bring the suit."

"Then why do you want to go to Germany?"

"Peter," Dylan said between coughs, this time Lennon was the one glaring at her sister.

"Absolutely not," Tony frowned, "That settles it. Thanks Pepps, I've got it from-"

"So you don't want to actually fight?"

"No," she sighed, "I just... I want to make sure he's okay."

"He'll be perfectly fine! I'm going to personally watch over the kid," Tony insisted.

"I know you will but still- he needs a friend. I hardly consider Happy a friend-"