SEVENTY SIX

Heartbroken was the best way to describe how Lennon was feeling

Betrayed was another equally good word.

Angry?

"Lennon."

She looked up from her breakfast to see Michelle standing there, a worried look on her face.

"Michelle."

"I know you're mad."

"How could you know I'm mad?"

"Well... you stabbed your breakfast... and you called me Michelle."

"Yeah, well, you always did tell me that only your friends call you MJ. And since we're not friends anymore-"

"I know I fucked up," she quickly sat down with her, "But I could really explain myself- if you give me the chance."

"Why would I do that?"

"Because you're too good of a person not to?" she tried, "And it's going to be a long ride to London so, really, you have nothing else to do."

"Actually, I do. I'll just talk to Brad. At least he's a real friend to me."

"Brad?" Michelle scoffed, "All this is happening because of Brad!"

"What?"

That definitely got Lennon's attention. She didn't want to listen before but she was going to now. Especially since Michelle seemed so passionate about it.

"Okay, I guess I'll talk here," she sighed, "It started that night at the opera. While you were up there talking to Peter, Brad talked to me because... we saw you two kiss at the hotel."

"Okay? And?"

"And I was screwed up about it because I thought I liked Peter and Brad obviously likes you so he... he suggested we work together."

"Work together?"

"Yeah. To get between you two- make sure you didn't get back together. So he could be with you and I..."

"Could be with Peter," Lennon finished sadly, "And you seriously cared so little for me that you agreed to that?"

"No! I immediately turned him down. I didn't want to do that to you at all. Besides, I wasn't even really sure of my feelings towards Peter. But then... then he went on about how I'd regret it if I didn't fight for Peter. I obviously really liked him and backing down for a friend would be so dumb."

"I can't believe he'd say that."

"Well, he did. And he even said that for all I know Peter could like me back but just didn't know it yet because he was blinded by you. And that I had to make a move if I wanted him. Either way. I ignored it, especially after he flicked Peter off then immediately sat next to you."