SEVENTY ONE

"I can't believe you're really doing this to me," Lennon complained when Happy pulled up to the airport the day of the trip

"I'm sorry- aren't teenagers usually happy when their parents allow them to travel with their friends?" Pepper asked with a smile.

"I would be happy," Morgan beamed, "And I'm not a teenager."

"There you go."

"Well, I'm not a regular teenager. I'd much rather be home with you guys."

When Pepper gave Happy a look, he quickly ushered Morgan out of the car to help get Lennon's bags.

"His stuff will be waiting for you when you get back. No one's going to touch it."

"That's not what-"

"I know why you don't want to go."

"Dylan told you?" Lennon sighed.

"She didn't have to. I know you, Lennon. You are my daughter, after all. And you've been through so much, sweetie, I really think you need this trip to get better."

"How is a trip going to help me feel better?"

Pepper shrugged, "It'll help you keep your mind off of things, you could enjoy yourself with your friends. And maybe..."

Lennon watched her as she pulled a bracelet out of her bag. But it wasn't just any bracelet.

"Ho-how could you ever want me to put that on again after what happened?"

"Because," she sighed as she placed it on Lennon's wrist, "What kind of mother would I be if I let my fears stop you from doing what you love?"

"But I don't- I only loved it when dad was here. Now, I could care less about fighting any bad guys."

"Well, maybe you won't have to fight any bad guys. Maybe you can use it for joyrides. God knows your dad didn't always use his suit for battle."

"Right," Lennon chuckled a bit, "I still remember seeing those pictures of him in that donut and being so jealous."

"You begged him to take you back there."

"But he said it was too high up for me."

"Maybe now you can use the suit to go to the highest building in Europe- show your dad who's boss."

Lennon smiled softly now as she looked up at Pepper, "Thanks, mom."

"Of course, my beautiful girl," she sighed happily, hugging her tightly before pulling away moments later, "Now, cmon. We have to get you on that flight before you're late."

"I can still always stay-"

"Go."

Lennon sighed but still said her goodbyes to her family before making her way into the airport to join the rest of the already waiting class.