THIRTY THREE

Lennon was sure she instructed Jack to let her know if any of the parental figures got home early yet she was still surprised by Tony walking into the lab, a drink in his hand as he took a seat with a sigh

"God, being a good guy is exhausting."

"Dad!" she grew wide-eyed, quick to hide Peter's suit, "What are you doing home so early?"

"I'm here on official business."

"And what is that?"

"I'm wondering how much longer you're going to take finishing the kid's suit?"

"It would've been done already if you hadn't been such a nosy-"

Lennon stopped short realizing what he just said, Tony chuckling a bit as he shook his head.

"I need to tell Natasha to help you keep secrets better."

"Did she tell you?"

"No but I'm hurt that you told her before you told me."

"I... I was afraid you wouldn't understand."

"You do realize I'm Iron Man, right?" Tony nudged her playfully as he moved closer, starting to look at her design, "There's no way I wouldn't understand."

"There's also the fact that I wanted to do this by myself," she stopped him from actually being able to take anything.

"Okay, okay," Tony held his hands up in defense, "I just wanted to be able to compliment my daughter on her incredible work."

"You sure you're not already thinking about ways to improve the suit?"

"Well, I can't help but wonder why there aren't more protocols."

"Dad."

"What? The training wheels protocol worked great on your suit."

"And yet when I finally finished it all, you and mom still refused to let me actually use the suit."

"I just don't see the point in wasting your talents on small time crime in the city. And since there hasn't been any big bads, it's better you just wait it out."

"So when an alien comes to destroy the world or- wait. Why are you so interested in Peter all of a sudden?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, you've obviously known about Pete for a long time. So why now? What do you need from this- him now?"

"What I need is for you to finish the suit-"

"Why?"

Tony sighed, knowing he wouldn't win this argument, "I'm going to bring him into the field so I need him wearing something that'll actually protect him and not... whatever the hell it is he's wearing now."