FOURTEEN

Hearing Tony's message from one of his many Iron Man helmets lifted this huge weight off of Pepper's shoulders

She wanted more than anything to tell Lennon to help her feel better as well but with Maya now with them, she still wasn't sure if she could trust her fully.

Meanwhile, Maya couldn't keep her eyes off of Lennon, "You know, had your dad and I not- you could've been my kid. He and I met just a year before he and your mom met."

"Nu-uh. She didn't become his assistant until-"

"Your biological mom, silly. I knew her, you know?"

"You... you did?"

"Yeah. She was one of my closest friends. Who do you think told her to give you back to Tony instead of giving you up for adoption? You still- you look just like her, you know? It's kinda freaky- you're like her twin."

Lennon sat there in shock, not really expecting her bio mom to be brought up. She stopped thinking about her when she completely disregarded this woman as her mother.

Sure, she had kind eyes but Lennon always thought she would be able to tell straight away when she met her mother. And she did not feel that way with Maya.

But thanks to her, Lennon now knew something else about bio mom. She not only had her eyes. She looked just like her.

Pepper couldn't help but get a bit defensive in a way, clearing her throat to get their attention, "So what exactly were you doing at the house anyway?"

"What?"

"Our home. Why were you there? What was so important that you had to speak to Tony?"

"Right... I um... I think my boss is working for the Mandarin."

"Your boss?" Pepper frowned, "Tony said you were a botanist."

"Figures," Maya scoffed before telling her exactly what she did.

Lennon wasn't really paying attention though as she sat in the backseat thinking about Maya's previous words.

Her mom.

She looked like her mom.

If anyone ever said that to her before, Lennon would agree- even if her and Pepper looked nothing alike. People would find any small detail in her face to connect her to Pepper and she didn't mind that at all.

But now here Maya was putting this other woman's image in her head. One she never thought of but now couldn't stop wondering more about her and how different her life would be today if she actually knew her.

If Maya convinced her best friend to keep her instead of giving her up to Tony. Maybe they could've had a normal life. Maybe she currently wouldn't be running away from a terrorist who's aim was to kill her father and probably them too.