Chapter 12

A week later, Aaliyah, Keyanna, DaQuan, and another guy that Keyanna introduced Aaliyah to whose name was DeShawn, went to a bar and they had a karaoke night. Keyanna and DaQuan were up on stage singing Best Part by H.E.R. ft. Daniel Caesar. 

"She actually has a good voice", Deshawn said.

"She does. She used to sing all the time when we were younger. On the choir, at talent shows", Aaliyah said. 

DeShawn nods.

DaQuan starts singing. "Its the sunrise, and those brown eyes, yes"

Keyanna smiles to herself. She knew he couldn't sing but loved who confident he was on stage even if he was making a fool of himself.

"That boy know he can't sing", Aaliyah said as she started laughing but trying to hold it back "Oh my gosh"

DeShawn chuckles. "Ay don't clown my boy na", he said jokingly.

"I'm sorry but ya boy ain't got no vocals what so ever", Aaliyah said.

DeShawn smiles. "Do you?", he asked.

"Nah. Do you?", Aaliyah asked.

"A little bit", he said.

"Well go up there next and let's find out", Aaliyah said.

"Okay if you go with me then I will", he said.

"Im not about to embarrass myself", she said.

"Thats the point of having fun", he said.

Suddenly Aaliyah felt her phone vibrate and she looked at the caller ID making sure DeShawn couldn't see it and it was Dre.

"I'll be back", she said as she got up and walked away and answered the phone. "Hello?", she answered.

"What you doing?", Dre asked.

"Why?", she asked.

"Because you ain't been making no progress Keem", he said.

"I have for the last two day he called me on the phone but he was busy doing something to we couldn't meet", she said.

"You know what he was doing?", Dre asked.

"No", Aaliyah said.

Suddenly, everybody claps after Keyanna and DaQuan finished singing.

"Where you at?", he asked.

"Why you in my business?", she asked.

"Cause you wasting my god damn time. I thought you were the type of person to always have your eyes on the money", he said. "Right now you lackin' and I can go find another girl to do your fucking job"

Aaliyah didn't say anything, she just rolled her eyes. He has been talking to her crazy since the morning Aaliyah told him to keep the relationship strictly business and that's it. It's like she didn't like the way he talked to her but at the same time it kinda turned her on. Aaliyah didn't know why but she was always attracted to the guys like Dre.

"Do you understand?", he asked. 

"Yes", she said. "But as I told you before, it's hard to get that nigga alone", Aaliyah said. "He always busy"

Dre sighed in frustration. "Liyah if this is challenging for you, you can quit," he said.

"Boy don't ever say that again. You know damn well I don't walk away from a challenge", she said.

"Well, act like", he said in a normal tone

Keyanna goes up to Aaliyah. "Hey, DeShawn wanted to know if you were going on stage with him", Keyanna said.

"DeShawn?", Dre questioned, but not loud enough for Aaliyah to hear him.

"I guess", Aaliyah said. "Let me just finish this conversation. I'll be right over"

"Okay", Keyanna said before she walked away.

"I'll call Keem tomorrow. how about we change the routine of things and I just bring him to my apartment", Aaliyah said.

"that's a little risky don't you think?", he asked.

"But we'll be alone", Aaliyah said. "So you can do whatever you gotta"

"...alright", Dre said. "whatever"

"Anything else?", she asked.

"Yes, Who's DeShawn?", he asked.

"Somebody Keyanna introduced me to. We're doing Karaoke like we on some freaking double date. She always trying to set me up with somebody", Aaliyah said. "But I gotta go. I don't wanna be rude", she said.

"Have fun", he said in a sarcastic voice.

"Bye Dre", Aaliyah said as she rolled her eyes playfully.

"Bye", he said.

Aaliyah hung up and turned around and walked back to the table. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After they were done. They walked outside to get in their cars.

"We'll see yall later", Keyanna said as she and DaQuan walked away.

"Bye', Aaliyah and DeShawn said.

Keyanna and DaQuan got into their car.

"So Aaliyah, you a pretty cool female. Maybe if you are interested, you and I can see each other again but alone. Maybe a restaurant or a movie or something", he said.

"DeShawn you are very cute and nice but- "

"But you ain't interested? that's cool", he said.

"It's not that I'm not interested in you or you're not interested but I just ... I'm not really ready for a relationship. I have a lot of stuff to work on for myself before I let somebody in", she said.

"You know... sometimes you can't do that all by yourself. Sometimes you need somebody to uplift you better and show you how much you're worth", he said.

Aaliyah was quiet.

"Just food for your thoughts", he said.

Aaliyah smiled a little. "I'll get your number from DaQuan if I decide to call you for round 2", she said. 

"What's my chances??", he asked.

"50/50", she said.

"eehhh, ill take that", he said.

Aaliyah chuckled.

"Have a great night beautiful", he said with a  smile.

"thank you. You too. Drive safe", she said.

"Same to you", he said.

Aaliyah walked away and got into the car.

TO BE CONTINUED...