Chapter 17

The next day Aaliyah woke up and her back was hurting from sleeping on the couch. She sat up and she heard arguing outside. It was men's voices.

Aaliyah got up and began to walk to the door. Suddenly Jay came into the house and he looked angry and she stopped walking.

Jay shut the door behind him.

"What happened? Who was that?", she asked.

"Nobody", he said.

Aaliyah didn't say anything.

Jay wanted to the kitchen and opened the fridge.

Aaliyah stared at him.

He grabbed a water bottle and looked at her. "What?", he asked.

"Everything okay?", she asked.

"Everything is fine", he said.

"...Okay", she said.

Jay walked into his room and Aaliyah followed him. She paused and looked around. It was the first time she actually went in there.

"why?", he asked.

"I know you don't know me much but... I just wanna let you know that you can talk to me about stuff", she said.

"I'm good", Jay said.

Aaliyah nods. She begins to walk out of the room but noticed a picture of her Jay, her dad, two girls, and another woman.

"Is that your mom?", she asked.

Jay looked at the direction she was looking at and noticed she was looking at the picture. "Yes, and the two other girls are my sisters... well ours", he said.

Aaliyah looked at the picture again. "They're pretty too. How old are they?", she asked.

"Umm Jaclyn is 16 and Kiara is 14", he said.

Aaliyah looked at Jay. "So I'm the oldest I see", she said. Jay was 20.

"Basically", he said.

Aaliyah nods as she looks around some more. "I've had a lot going on lately, and seeing my mom dead on the floor took the cake. There was a lot of tension between us. The both of us let so many years go by...and I guess I don't want it to be like that with my dad", she said.

"So what you saying?", Jay asked. "You wanna meet him?"

Aaliyah nods. "If that's okay", she said.

"Yea. I'll call him and let him know", he said.

"Thanks", Aaliyah said.

"No problem", he said.

Aaliyah walked out of the room and sat on the couch. She picked up her laptop and continued apartment hunting.

—————————————————————-

A week later Jay was taking Aaliyah to their dad's house to meet him. He pulled up to the house and Aaliyah felt like she was paralyzed. She was so nervous.

Jay got out of the car and realized Aaliyah was still sitting there. "You coming?", he asked bending over and looking at her.

"Um yea", she said as she opened the car down.

Jay stood up straight. "Ain't nothing to be scared of the old man cool", he said.

Aaliyah got out of the car and saw her dad come out of the house. He stopped at looked at her.

Aaliyah looked down then looked up at him.

Her dad walked to her. "Aaliyah?", he asked.

"Hey daddy", she said as she started tearing up.