145

"You always pack too much," Hongjoong sighed when he saw his husband come into the garage with two full baskets of snacks and flasks filled with coffee or tea. "We're not driving across the world-"

"There was a storm warning earlier this morning. I'm not going to get stuck on some highway with not enough food," the elder explained and placed the baskets in his arm's reach. He threw blankets and a pillow on the bench right behind them, made sure they also had enough water. He was being overly careful, yet after getting stuck in the car once, he would rather be prepared this time.

Hongjoong shook his head and sighed as he closed the trunk after placing their suitcases. It took the couple another twenty minutes to finally sit ready in the van. "Okay we turned off the electricity," Seonghwa nodded, "locked the doors and turned on the alarm," the elder hummed again, "and we got everything we need."

"All packed, I got our passports, IDs, and cards, and here are all the keys," Seonghwa held up a big bundle of keys and a flat bag where he had put in their important papers. "Ready to go, hm?"

~

Hongjoong glanced to his right, chuckled and shook his head. "that much to 'I'm staying awake for you, I promise' huh?" he mumbled and blindly reached for the blanket somewhere behind them and spread it as well as he could.

They were a couple hours in, it was mostly the highway they drove on, and that was what made it hard for Hongjoong to keep concentrated. It was all the same, same pace, straight road, maybe they passed a cat or two. It was so monotone and boring, keeping the eyes open actually seemed hard. Nonetheless, it wasn't his first time, nor his last driving all the way across the country to get to his parents-in-law.

In the moment of total silence, a long and deep breath left his lips, eyes locked on the road in front of him.

He appreciated the loving company of his husband, was grateful for everything he had done for him out of love, yet he also liked a moment of silence, a moment of solitude. And as the road stretched in front of him, he got to clear his mind.

When they would arrive, he would have to hold an explanation, he was sure. One rather descreetly, on the side when they asked him by a glass of alcohol long after dinner. He wasn't ashamed of it anymore, Hongjoong had proven himself to his husband's family years ago, had made his place clear. Yet there would always be the bitterness when he had to explain under the cover that yes, he needed Seonghwa to just hold him, that his life was heavier than he had wished and his mind weaker than he could admit. Because in the end, he would always be an outsider to the Park family.

~

"Dad!" Mingi called from the dinning room when he saw their car drive onto the large yard in front of his grandparents' house. "Papa!"

It was a matter of seconds and the dinning table was cleared, six pairs of feet running through the corridor to get out to welcome their parents. Jiyoung watched her grandchildren with a smile and a head-shake, put the pot in the middle of the table and followed them to the door. Outside her husband already waited with the kids, opening his arms for his son as soon as he opened the door.

"Ahh you two made it just in time for dinner," Junho tugged Seonghwa in a hug first, then turned to his son-in-law.

"Looks like his mother-in-law likes him, huh?" Seonghwa giggled and opened his arms for his kids that clung to all his sides. He got a hold of Wooyoung and lifted him up, pressing a kiss on his cheek.

"Hongjoong! You seem healthier than on the phone," Jiyoung commented as she greeted the younger with a welcoming smile. "I'm glad you two made it before New Year."

"Thank you," he replied respectfully, responding to her smile. "We wouldn't dare miss the holidays with the family, would we?"

The elderly woman shook her head. "You do make sure the family is complete, you're right," she gave back and took a breath before rising her voice. "Now come on in, the food is going to get cold!"

~

"Ah, feels like walking into sixteen year old Seonghwa's head, every time," Hongjoong commented as he rolled out the futon on the floor, preparing their bed.

"I could be mean and say at least I had my own room, but I choose to be nice," the elder gave back as he entered the room, freshly made bed-ready in the bathroom. His husband liked to mock his old bedroom whenever they would stay at his parents house, be it his figures in the shelves everyone was too lazy to pack away, or his old pictures.

"Ahh, well-" Hongjoong chuckled, "when you live with four girls in a small apartment you don't really have stuff to save for that long."

Seonghwa took out two pillows from a drawer on the side and threw them onto the futon, lowering himself on it. His eyes wandered around for a moment, nostalgia welcoming him. "Yeah... sixteen year old Park Seonghwa was very proud of this room," he giggled and laid down underneath the thick blanket. He turned his back to the younger and scooted a little closer to him. "But thirty six year old Kim Seonghwa would like to be the little spoon today and sleep now because my back is going to kill me-"

A quick laugh rolled over Hongjoong's lips as he cuddled his husband, following his wishes. "... Ah ? Are we getting old?" he teased, burying his cold hands inside the elder's sleeping-shirt.

"I will put you on iron supplements again- why are your hands so cold-" Seonghwa cursed. "We're the same age, I'm not old-"

"Nah, you're old. I just turned thirty six. You're going to turn thirty seven, honey."

"You know there is alway the option you sleep on the floor, you know?"

Hongjoong giggled and pressed a kiss on the elders neck. "Ah no~ I love my old hag~" he teased one last time and hugged him tight before getting more comfortable to sleep. "... You age like fine wine, love. And I will love whatever age you get... You got me on you now, we're going to get old and grey together, there is no way out for you," he added and reached for the elders hand, intertwining their fingers briefly.

-
Heyaaa ahaha another update😌😌

I'm slowly getting back at my usual schedule yall, I'm getting there

How have you all been?

Have you listened to Hongjoong's Draw&Draw???

GO LISTEN IT PEASANTS

I feel jobless now that my finals are over lol

Like I feel stressed that I have nothing to stress about🤡🤡

Oh fun fact about this chapter. It's exactly 1117 words long👁️👁️

Idk I wanted to write a longer ending but for some reason my brain wouldn't let me because like briefly was the 1117th word and it was just yk- perfect bwhahahaha

Anyway

Please stay healthy and safe!

-gulkurusubb