Chapter 4 || Unfortunate

Rockabye 🎼

Rockabye 🎼

Trigger Warning (SA)

Ruthira's fingers froze and her smile dropped. Her mind went blank as she continued looking at the screen infront of her. "Bad touch, Amma", Nidra sniffed.

Ruthira turned her head slowly and saw Nidra looking at her with tears. Unknowingly, tears started rolling down her eyes as well. "Who", she mumbled, making Nidra sit on her lap.

"Se- secuty uncle". She hugged Nidra tightly and rubbed her back, "thank you for telling Amma. You are still Amma's Nidu and Appa's Bubba. We love you a lot. Shall we take a bath"?

"Okie", Nidra nodded. Ruthira locked the door and brought her to the washroom. "Nidu, can you tell Amma where- where did he touch you"? "Here", Nidra rubbed her chest.

Ruthira clenched her fist tightly behind her back so as to not show Nidra her anger. She didn't want Nidra to fear her. "Thank you for telling me. Nothing is wrong with you, okay? Like I said, we love you a lot".

Nidra happily nodded. The little girl was too young to understand what actually happened. All she remembered was her mother saying that if she felt a person's touch uncomfortable, it's a bad touch.

"Shall we watch Nidu's favourite movie after this? We can have Nidu's favourite pizza. What do you think", Ruthira asked excitedly. Only she knew the inner turmoil she was going through and how hard it was to pretend like she was excited.

"Really! Thankiew", Nidra jumped on Ruthira, wetting her in the process. "Oopsie, we have an accident", Ruthira giggled as she continued scrubbing Nidra's hair.

Once she was done changing her clothes, she ordered Nidra's favourite pizza. "Pizzaaaaaaa", Nidra happily gasped, smelling the cheesy goodness.

"Come quickly, the movie's starting", Ruthira gave her a slice of pizza. "Amma eat", Nidra pushed her slice towards her mother.  "Amma- Amma don't want ma, you have it".

"Amma no eat, I no eat". Ruthira bit her lips to control her tears and took a small bite from Nidra's pizza. "Now eat", she pushed the slice to her.

An hour later, Nidra managed to sleep by snuggling into Ruthira's chest. Ruthira carried her to the room and made her lie on the bed. "Amma", Nidra whined, tugging her dupatta.

"Amma's right here", Ruthira whispered, placing the dupatta beside her. She made sure to put pillows around her so that she wouldn't fall.

Once she was done, she sat on the couch with a thud. She cried, pulling on her hair. Still sobbing, she messaged Rudra to come home as soon as possible.

"Butter", Ruthira called a sleeping Butter while putting her hair in a bun. "BUTTER"! "Woof"! He ran up to her feet and stood there. "Come", she got up and left the house with him after making sure she closed all the windows and doors.

Taking the elevator, she reached the ground floor. There she saw, Manoj standing with his back towards her, looking at the playground.

Removing her slipper, she smacked it right on his back. "HOW DARE YOU"! Pulling him by his hair, she used the same slipper to slap him uncountable times.

"AHHH"! "SHE'S A KID", Ruthira screamed with tears. Many people were looking at the scene and stood rooted to their ground. She kicked him right in his stomach, causing him to fall.

"Why would you do that", she whispered painfully. Manoj saw Ruthira's focus drifting and tried to run. But, Butter was quick to grab his leg and bite it.

"AHHHHHHH"! He kicked Butter away with his other leg. "Aluuu", Butter whimpered in pain. This angered Ruthira even more. "You really thought no one will know"!

She stepped on the fresh wound without any ounce of mercy. "LEAVE! SORRY", Manoj withered in pain. "Why? Why? Why"? Ruthira kept kicking him.

"Mumma, he touched me here", a girl of 5 years told her mother. The lady looked at Ruthira and joined her in smacking Manoj.

Rudra was entering the residence when he saw a commotion in the playground. "Neel beta, your wife is beating Manoj", an elderly man told him.

"Ruthira", he mumbled. Squeezing his way through the crowd he saw what the elderly man was saying. He quickly pulled her back, "Ruthira, what happened"?

"Rudra", she whispered and turned. "Rudra"! Ruthira wailed clutching his shirt. "He- he touched our Nidu with his di- dirty hands and intentions".

Rudra's eyes grew red as he saw the heavily injured Manoj begging with his hands together. A group of ladies were whacking the shit out of him.

"Where is she"? "She- she's sleeping. Why must this happen", Ruthira broke down. "FUCKING BASTARD", Rudra shoved her aside and stomped on Manoj.

"AHHH SIR, PLEASE LEAVE ME. I WON'T DO IT AGAIN"! "YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE DONE IT EVEN THE FIRST TIME", Rudra screamed.

"YOU THOUGHT IF IT'S A CHILD, YOU WILL NEVER GET CAUGHT! YOU'RE SO WRONG"! He kicked in Manoj's guts. "The police is here",  someone said.

The cops came and took Manoj under their custody. "The both of you will need to come down to give your statements", the police told Ruthira and Rudra.

"Okay", Rudra mumbled still not being done with Manoj. Ruthira gave the house keys to Veera and asked her to take care of Nidra and Butter in the mean time. Veera too agreed to help.

=====

It was late at night when Ruthira and Rudra got home. Veera had fed Nidra her dinner and had made her sleep. Ruthira was sitting on the bed looking at the wall infront blankly.

"We've failed as her parents, didn't we"? On hearing Rudra's voice she looked at him. "We were suppose to protect her from all sorts of danger, but look. She's just two and we couldn't...".

"Let's not blame ourselves Rudra. Whatever happened, was hard, yes. But it was not something that we wanted. She's still our very own Nidra. Let's just forget this bitter incident like a bad dream. For our Nidra, for us", she mumbled, holding his hands.

"You're right, let's just forget this. No one needs to know about this. Let's not talk about it even infront of Nidra", he whispered. "Hmmm", Ruthira laid her head on his shoulder.

She sniffed hugging him tightly. Rudra wrapped his arms around her and rocked her,

"We will get through this".

Do vote, comment and share 🤞🏾

❤️,
DD