Chapter 64 || Aathira

"Rudra, guess what I brought"? "New clothes", Rudra shrugged, annotating his slides

"Rudra, guess what I brought"? "New clothes", Rudra shrugged, annotating his slides. "The keychains"! He gasped and turned towards her, "where is it"?

Ruthira waved the plastic bag in her hand. She sat beside him on the bed. Pulling out the precious box, she put it on his hand. "Open it". "Me"? "Yes. I've seen its pictures already so I want you to open it".

He gently opened the box and as he did so, a choked breath of air left his throat. "This is so precious", whispering, he ran a finger across the pendent. "It is".

Ruthira handed him the keychains, "it came out so beautifully"

Ruthira handed him the keychains, "it came out so beautifully". "Hmmm", he sniffed. "One for you and the other one for me", she said. "Thank you so much, bachaa. This is so important. I don't think I can use it. I'm going to safely keep it on the table". "Me too. I'm going to keep the necklace in the safe".

"Can I see that", Nidra question from the entrance of the room. "Yes, come", Ruthira called her. "What's this", she asked, making herself comfortable on her mother's lap.

"It's a chain made out of milk. Remember the milk Aathira used to drink? It's that". "Oh! The one where you put the thing on your chest and boom there's milk"! "Yes, it's that milk".

"So pretty"! "Just like you", Ruthira kissed her head. Nidra looked at her side and saw her father quietly sobbing. "Don't cry Appa. Bampi is always with us. It's just we cannot see her but I know she can see us. I'm sure she's playing with Nivi Akka and god".

Rudra grabbed her and squeezed her in a tight hug. Ruthira smiled seeing them. "Come", Nidra called her with her forefingers. She chuckled with tears and joined the hug.

Sometimes the innocent words kids say are the most healing words one yearn to hear.

=====

"Aaru, do you still have Aathira's clothes"? Ruthira rubbed her five months belly, "some. I donated most of it and buried some with her. There were a few I couldn't part with so I kept them. Like the ones she wore. And especially the first ever romper she wore, it's kept safely. I'm not going to let anyone touch it".