Chapter 66 || Due

"The baby clothes are over here

"The baby clothes are over here. So I'll just put this bag into the bigger one". Rudra was rechecking the maternity bag one last time before they left for the hospital.

Ruthira was already in week 38. The cesarean was scheduled tomorrow in the wee hours of the morning. To say that she was not scared would be a lie. The whole time last night she kept praying in her mind for a safe procedure.

But looking at Rudra and Nidra fuss over where the clothes should be kept, all her fear was gone. She had to make sure she was safe for these people. Not just them but the newborn will for sure need her more than anyone else.

"Okay. Loose clothes"? "Check". "Slipper"? "Check". "Socks"? "Check"....

Rudra and Nidra went on crossing off each item on the list while tallying it with the things in the bag. "Ready to go", he held Ruthira's hand. "Hmmm. Let's bring our son home". "Daughter"! "Whatever, Rudra".

Everyone got into the car together with Butter. Nidra and him were being dropped off at Ruthira's parents house as it was only a 15 minutes walk from their house.

The moment they reached the house, Nidra ran to hug her cousin sister. "Helloooo", she sang. "Hehehe! I miss you", Adrika giggled. Brinda smeared a little vibhuti on her forehead. "We'll come later. Take care".

"Aluuu", Butter sniffed her legs before gently touching the bump with his nose. "Bebeh", he groaned softly. "I know. Baby", Ruthira rubbed his head. "We'll take our leave then. We need to register and handle the admin matters", she added.

"Hmmm. All the best. Be calm", Mohanraj patted her cheek before hugging her. Everyone else shared an embrace with her. "Bye Amma. I love you", Nidra mumbled, pecking the bump. "I'll meet you soon, okay. Come home soon", she added. Rudra ruffled her hair before they left for the hospital.

=====

"I'm so hungry. It's been eight hours", Ruthira whined, pulling Rudra's collar. "I'll get you your favourite food soon. Don't worry", he continuously pecked her head. "Shut up! Easy for you to say! Only baby and I know how hard it is to stay hungry"!

He covered up his chuckles by covering his mouth and nodded. "You're right, I'm sorry".

Ruthira had already changed to her hospital gown and the IV was injected. A catheter had been placed in her bladder to keep it empty. Since Rudra was also in his scrubs, he was allowed to be inside.

"Good morning, Mrs Aaruthira. I'm your obstetrician, Dr Jaya. And this is my assistant, Dr Pranavi", Jaya went on introducing the team to Ruthira who just kept nodding.

"So we are going to give you the epidural shot now. Are you ready"? "Yeah", she mumbled, looking at Rudra. He held her hand and kissed the back of it.

"Ouch", she grimaced at the poking sensation she felt in the middle of her back. "How do you feel", Jaya smiled. "Good. I can't wait to see the baby", she chuckled. "How about the dad? How are you feeling"?