Chapter 10 || Hurt

Kadhal Oru Aagayam 🎼

"Nidra, don't irritate Amma and eat". "No Idly! Cereal"! Ruthira rubbed her forehead in an attempt to calm down. "Didn't I tell you, no cereal for lunch. Cereal is only for breakfast".

"Ammaaaaaaa", Nidra whined, pushing the plate out of her mother's hand. "NIDRA"! Ruthira raised her hand to slap her but stopped. "WON'T YOU LISTEN! WHY ARE YOU BEING SO STUBBORN"!

Nidra flinched as her lips quivered in fear. Ruthira noticed that and immediately reached out to her. "GO"! Nidra screamed pushing her mother's hand and ran to Butter.

"Amma bad, Butter", she sobbed, hugging him. "Woof"! Butter kept pushing Ruthira back, not letting her touch the toddler behind him.

"Nidu, Amma's sorry". "No! You scold Nidu. Nidu sad"! Ruthira inwardly cussed herself. "I didn't-", she stopped halfway when she felt a trickle of wetness rolling down her thigh.

My water broke?

She took her phone from the dining table and dialed Rudra. But to her dismay, he didn't pick up.

Pick up, I need you. Please.

'The number who've dialed is engaged at the moment. Please try again later'. Ruthira cried as she panicked what to do. With a thud, she sat on the chair and clutched her hair.

Being a smart dog, Butter ran out and scratched on Veera's door. He dragged her to their house by her saree.

"Aaru"? "Aunty? Aunty, I- I don't know what- what to do. My- my water broke. Rudra, he- he isn't here and he is no- not picking up", she gasped for air.

Veera looked at the pool of water below Ruthira, "Aaru calm down. Don't panic, it will affect the baby. Look at me. Slowly, take deep breaths". Fortunately, she followed Veera's instructions well.

"Have you packed the bag"? "Yes, it's inside the cupboard". Veera went inside the room to take the bag. "Amma? Why cry? Nidu sorry". Ruthira chuckled with tears at her daughter's innocence.

"Your baby sister or brother is going to come soon". Nidra's lips stretched into a big smile. "Sister"? Ruthira hummed. Nidra tried running to her but she was stopped.

"There's water on the floor. You might fall down". Nidra nodded and clapped her hands in excitement. "Come, I just booked a cab. It will be here in 3 minutes".

Veera made sure to  switch off all electrical appliances and lock the door before she, Nidra and Ruthira took the cab to the hospital.

=====

Rudra slammed open the door of the maternity ward. He saw Nidra sitting beside Veera on the couch. Shifting his gaze to the left, he saw his wife on the bed with an equipment beside her bed to monitor her contractions.