Chapter 22 || Crumbling

Rudra raised his hand for the fifth time to knock on Ruthira's door

Rudra raised his hand for the fifth time to knock on Ruthira's door. Just knock! Taking a deep breath, he forwarded his fist. Just then Ruthira opened the door and was startled a little when she saw him there.

Rudra fidgeted as he brought his fist down. "I- uh I need to talk to you". Ruthira nodded, looking at the ground, knowing what the conversation was about.

"Nidra's still sleeping, so I guess it's better to do it now". "Okay", she mumbled. The both of them settled themselves on the couch in the living room.

"I- few days ago Nidra said she wanted to go to Ma's house. Her teachers also said she may fall into depression and since the environment she is in is toxic, I decided something.

We will be going over to Ma's place for some time. That way hopefully she gets occupied with Ma and Pa. Maybe the space is also what we need right now".

Ruthira kept quiet and nodded. "You should go over to Amma's and Appa's place. You-". "I'll be fine alone". "Ruthira, I don't want to give up on us. But I need this space to heal myself first before I can do anything. I hope you understand".

"I understand. Uh can you bring Butter with you. I don't think I can handle him alone". "But you-". "Please". Rudra nodded. She took her bag and got up to leave.

Once she reached the door, she stopped. "Rudra, can I get a hug"? Since Rudra's back was facing her, she couldn't see the slight smile he had on his face.

Before he could get up she mumbled, "nevermind". She left the house in a hurry as Rudra sighed and got ready for the day.

=====

"Hello, Aaruthira", Urmila smirked. On hearing no response, she got angry. "When I greet you, you better greet me back". "Good morning, ma'am", Ruthira mumbled.

"So I have a report for you to complete. Do it well. The dateline is by noon". "But, I have other things-". Urmila gritted her teeth and pulled Ruthira's hair.

"Do you want the pictures to be published"? "No". "Then do it", she pushed her to the ground. After Urmila left her cabin, Ruthira got up and arranged her clothes and hair.

For 4 hours, she focused on doing the report. After emailing it to Urmila, she busied herself with her own work, skipping her lunch. The whole time, she kept wiping the tears that rolled down her cheeks.

=====

"We really going to Thakuma's house"? "For the sixth time, yes. We are going there". Nidra nodded as she looked at the passing scenery through the car window.

"Only Butter, me and you"? "Yes". Nidra pouted. She did want to go to her grandparents' place but not like this. She wanted her mother. She needed her mother.

But the two adults were so into their own world of emotions that they didn't realise what their daughter really needed.

"Hello Nidra, how are you", Maitra picked Nidra up from the car. "Good, Thakuma! I miss you", she kissed Maitra's cheeks. "You don't miss me", Shaswat joined them.