Chapter 61 || Love

"Thank you"! Nidra giggled when her parents sang her the birthday song

"Thank you"! Nidra giggled when her parents sang her the birthday song. "Is it vanilla cake"? "Yes, just like you wanted". "Thank you, Appa". "You are welcomed". "Uffy bhaphy, Idu"! "Nidu", she snapped. "But thank you", she said before blowing the candle.

"Cut the cake", Ruthira motioned. Rudra held Nidra's hand as she cut the cake. They fed each other the cake. She was busy opening her gifts when Rudra signalled Ruthira about something. "Now"? "Yes". "But she's so happy, Rudra". "Let's just do it now, and get it over with".

"Nidu ma, come here". Nidra placed her gift down and went to her parents, "yes"? "Come sit", Ruthira patted her lap. "Bubba, before anything we love you as much as we love your sisters". "Yes, I know. Everyone loves me", Nidra giggled.

"Nidu", Ruthira took a deep breath. "We- we aren't your birth parents". "Yeah, you're my Amma and Appa", she mumbled. "Yes, we are. But there's another set of parents you had. Those parents were the one who gave birth to you".

Nidra's quietness scared them. "Then how I get you"? "Your birth parents passed away and their family gave you up for adoption. That's how Amma and Appa saw you. We loved you instantly especially your Amma. She didn't want to leave you at all", Rudra explained.

Nidra got down from Ruthira's lap and looked at them both, "you never had me in your stomach like for bampi"? "No", a whisper left Ruthira's mouth. "You're not my parents! No one is mine"! She ran to her room, wailing.

As the door shut, Ruthira broke down crying. "It's fine. She has to be mad. Let her express her feelings. Give her some space before we talk to her", Rudra rubbed her shoulder.

"She hates us! She- she's s- she doesn't want u- us. She'll leave us! I know! She'll leave us, Rudra! Rudra, she'll leave us"! He cupped her face, making her look at him.

"Look at me, calm down. Breathe in. Slowly. Good. Listen, she's not leaving us. We're her parents and no one can change that fact. Nidra loves us as much as we love her. She's just upset. She'll come around. Let's give her some time to process everything".

"What if she doesn't", she cried. "She will. I promise you that".

=====

An hour went by and Nidra slowly opened the door. Tear marks evident on her red cheeks. Seeing rudra looking at her, she wailed and ran towards him. Rudra picked her up and her arms were immediately clinged around his neck.

"I love you", she mumbled inbetween her sobs. "I love you too. I love you as much as I love your sisters. All of you are precious to me. Never think that just because we didn't give birth to you, you are any lesser than your sisters. You three are equal".

"I scared you and Amma leave me and you don't love me", she mumbled. "We will never leave you. Loving you was the best thing that happened to us and we won't stop that".