He Was Looking For a Princess (IwaOi)

happy birthday Iwa-chan!! I have no regrets about that picture either, it's staying.
-

Oikawa Tooru had been searching for a princess all his life, refusing almost every girl in the process however. None of them felt right, like they would last. Everyone who came into his life seemed temporary.

He wandered from city to city, bar to bar, even strip club to strip club, yet nothing caught his attraction or attention for long. Yes there was the occasional one night stand, but that's all they were; a simple fling to distract himself from the aching spot in his heart that begged to be filled.

Honestly, the brunette had never felt like he 'loved' anyone. Maybe the typical "oh, she's cute," or "she'd probably be good in bed," because everyone has those thoughts. Relationships were a foreign concept, and even having people around him talk about their 'crushes' was awkward for Oikawa in a way. The worst was when he actually had a girlfriend. He acknowledged that it was his fault, but he just couldn't learn to love her. His focus went into volleyball, instead of her, and she couldn't stand it. The relationship was short, and not too sweet, but it was an experience so of course Oikawa learned from it.

Ever since the breakup the setter just tended to keep his heart locked away, keeping it out of harm's reach. The small affairs he got himself into were nothing, just a way of entertainment. And the bar visits were the same, just a break from the pain. Strip clubs were just a trick of the mind to tell himself that women could be attractive. None of his idle methods of pain-easing worked in the end, though. He still woke up crying in the middle of the night, he still had to fake that cheesy smile throughout the day, and he still had to kid himself that love was even a possibility in his life.

~

Oikawa's class reunion was fast approaching. 'May as well go,' the brunette thought to himself one evening, gathering up a nice suit and tie for the occasion. He was dressing to impress, seeing as he was the heartthrob of his class after all. 'And Iwa-chan will be there...'

If Oikawa had ever had feelings for anyone, and he was pretty sure he hadn't, it would have to have been Iwaizumi Hajime. The ace had always been good-looking, but Oikawa tricked himself into thinking that he was straight as a board long ago. So his feelings never blossomed and were instead smashed into oblivion, supposedly never to be felt again.

Like usual, the setter arrived fashionably late. Though he was pretty fashionable. Every girl he walked by was drooling in second (same) along with some of the boys. Makki and Mattsun greeted him close to the entrance, welcoming him with "here comes dat boi".

"Good to see you both too," Oikawa replied coolly, brushing the strands of hair out of his eyes.

"Oh, by the way Tooru," Makki addressed him.

"We're dating," Mattsun finished for him.

"So it's finally official?" a strong voice said out of nowhere, the owner standing just behind Oikawa.

"Iwa-chan!!" Oikawa cheered, turning around to face his best friend.

"Hey, Shittykawa," Iwaizumi laughed, greeting the overexcited brunette.

"Hmph!" Oikawa huffed, pouting as well. "I was all happy to see Iwa-chan but apparently he doesn't wanna see me."

"You overreact to everything, dork. C'mon we can go over to the corner and catch up," Iwa finally suggested, earning a real smile from Oikawa.

~

"And there's my number, okay? In case you ever just need me, because remember, I'm your mom," Iwaizumi said, handing Oikawa his phone back.

"Thanks, Iwa-chan," Oikawa genuinely said.

"BUT," Iwa started, "don't call me at 4 AM for a stupid reason, got it? You can wait till morning to tell me that Asuma Kousuke got a girlfriend. I do not care enough to be woken up that early."

~

3:41 AM

Iwaizumi was awoken by the ringing of his cell phone. 'What the hell does he want this early in the morning...'

He reluctantly answered his phone, brought to his senses by a sniffling Oikawa on the other side of the line.

"Oikawa..."

"I'm sorry Iwaizumi, I haven't slept for the past sixty-seven hours. I've been awake for more than three days now, and I can't get my mind to shut up," Oikawa profusely apologized, his voice still shaky from obviously crying not too long ago.

"Tooru, you need sleep, okay? Even if you can't keep your thoughts quiet, you have to pause them to at least get some rest. But if we're talking about it, what's been on your mind?" Iwa questioned.

"Okay, so I've always imagined myself having a fairytale ending, you know? But I'm a prince without a princess, a kingdom without a following. I've never even thought about a girl who would fit as my princess..." Oikawa admitted.

"You make a beautiful prince," Iwa commented while his friend took a breath.

"Hajime... I think I want you to be my prince."

"You see, this is worth waking me up at 3 AM for," Iwaizumi sighed. "Of course, I'd be honored to be your prince, my handsome king."