Chapter 56

After a while, Diego filled a wooden barrel—made by Kayden for a pot—with duck meat and water. Then I hung the pot on a pole above the burning firewood.

As the water started to boil, a savory smell spread throughout the hut. Then Arthdal, who had been in the room on the second floor since a while ago, came down.

'Should I give food to the guy who continues to do nothing for free?'

I was seriously contemplating. After all, people don't change.

Patiently, I sat quietly and accepted the duck stew that Diego served in a coconut bowl.

Since the table in the kitchen is for one person, we only use it for cooking—though it's a bit embarrassing to call it cooking. So we all sat on the spacious floor.

Not much lean meat in the stew. There was nothing we could do as we served two ducks for seven people.

It's fine for me, but I don't know how other people feel.

'But I'm happy to eat meat after a long time.'

I tilted the coconut bowl and slurped the broth.

'I wish there was kimchi.'

With that thought in mind, I was working hard to empty the bowl.

If it wasn't for Kayden, who was sitting across from me, holding his chin and staring at me, I would be able to keep eating.

I eventually put down the coconut bowl and looked at him.

Then, as if Kayden was waiting, he grinned. He's really pretty.

"You like ducks, Margaret? I like you."

cough cough. It wasn't me but Ruzef who was choking. As he coughed as if out of breath, Diego brought him some water.

Seeing Ruzef calming down a bit, I turned to Kayden and responded.

"I know you do not. Just eat your wings."

Even after being rebuked, Kayden was smiling happily.

I really don't know what he's thinking. So I can't take his kindness as a good thing.

I looked at Kayden with a sullen face and sighed. The original plot is impossible to change, I wonder if I will be killed in a different way.

'Yeah, all I have to do is to escape and survive.'

I made up my mind. I will survive somehow. Meanwhile, I heard Enoch and Arthdal arguing.

"Don't be annoying and just eat."

"Can't you speak? You can complain that it's not tasty. In the past and now, you're not flexible at all."

"Stop talking about flexibility. You, who do nothing and only eat, have no right to speak this and that. So shut up that mouth of yours if you don't want to be forced to shut up."

At Enoch's bloody warning, Arthdal finally gave up with a disgruntled face and kept his mouth shut.

Diego and Yuanna were busy eating duck stew.

On the other hand, Ruzef grabbed Kayden by the collar.

As the number of people in the group increases, so does the annoying part, and there's a lot to pay attention to. This bustling life is the first time I have experienced in my life.

Well, more than I thought...... Group life doesn't seem too bad.

The sun had risen but Kayden was still in dreamland because he had been watching until dawn. I moved as slowly as possible so as not to wake him.