Chapter 140

Before long, a giant tree rose from beneath the flower field. It was the damn tree that pierced Diego's abdomen.

-clink.

As the tree rose, I heard the sound of glass shattering. There must have been a barrier.

It was like a barrier made by that tree. Now I understand why the three men didn't hear me.

"What the hell?! Margaret!"

"Margaret, are you okay?!"

"Lady Floné! What is that tree?"

Kayden, Enoch, and Ruzef shouted frantically. I sat down, dumbfounded, staring at the tree in front of me. Diego had disappeared from sight, and there was nothing but a giant tree in front of me.

"T-that thing took Sir Diego. He said he was threatened. He said they were trying to use him as bait to extort my mana... What should I do? Sir Diego is not dead, is he?"

I urgently grabbed Enoch by the collar. At my words, the three men glanced toward the tree.

Enoch put his arm around my shoulders and pulled me to my feet, stroking my hair as if to calm me.

"Sir Diego will be safe. We can save him."

"There wasn't a tree like that before," muttered Kayden in confusion.

Just then, the flashlight containing the fireflies emitted an enormous beam of light. In an instant, the surroundings were as bright as daylight.

At the edge of my brightened field of vision, I could see a huge tree, glowing white, more clearly than before.

I stared at it for a moment, then gasped in surprise as I realized something was embedded in the tree.

'...what is that?!'

What looked like human faces were embedded in the tree.

It was grotesque and eerie. I shuddered with a sense of dread that coursed through my body.

Then, the grotesque faces slowly turned around. I swallowed nervously and stared at them.

Dozens of faces turned to stare back at me.

"Huh!" Ruzef slumped down.

"It was them, the ones that surrounded us the day Sir Diego disappeared!" said Ruzef with a shudder.

It was like a tree made of hundreds of thousands of ghosts.

[Found it-]

A huge, disparate resonance rumbled and echoed through the cave. It was a strange sound, as if dozens of voices had joined together.

It was horrifyingly repulsive, almost goosebump-inducing.

"What the hell?"

Kayden drew his dagger. Enoch did the same, drawing his sword.

The tree trunk that had pierced Diego's abdomen seemed to be unwilling to move closer to us because of the light emitted by the fireflies.

I thought the flashlight was for using fireflies to illuminate only light. For some reason, 'Alea' was written on it. I never thought it would have been modified to be usable in this way.

Since Jenas told me to find the mother of monsters and gave me this flashlight, did he expect all of this?

'Could it be the mother of monsters?'

No matter how I think about it, the only thing that can show off such power is the mother of monsters.

[Mana-]