Chapter 142

-kurrureung!

A bolt of lightning cracked open the cave, letting in light and revealing the sky. It was still raining outside.

-kwaak!

And as if waiting for us, a large number of monsters rushed towards us.

I thought that destroying the mother of monsters would be the end of it, but is it literally only stopping evolution?

Ruzef who sealed the mother of monsters or spirits mass has yet to wake up. This may be our last fight with monsters.

Enoch and Kayden ran with Diego and Ruzef on their backs, respectively. I ran after them and loaded my flare gun.

I pulled the hammer down, looked back at the swarming monsters, and pulled the trigger.

-pish-boom-boom!

Seeing the monsters burst into flames as they lunged for us, I reloaded again. I'm almost out of ammo, and that's a problem.

Eunji, wrapped around my body, spewed fire at the monsters that had gotten so close.

-pow!

-kuwak!

A couple of bizarrely shaped monsters fell apart. I thanked Eunji and ran forward again.

I couldn't see where the helpful fireflies had gone, and as we ran, we were greeted by an empty field with no end in sight.

"I hope you survive, Meg. It's kind of a gamble? Let's just say it's fun. Try your best here, on Alea Island."

Alea Island.

In the first place, animals and monsters do not belong to Alea. This is because gambling and luck only apply to humans.

"You know that monsters roam this island, right?"

"They weren't here from the beginning."

"......what?"

"At first, they were all ordinary creatures. But they gradually evolved."

"The monsters?"

"Yeah."

That's why Jenas couldn't control the monster's evolution. According to Jenas, monsters are also mutations in Alea's system.

If so, the spirits must have gotten what they wanted to some extent, and they even managed to evolve monsters. I wonder how much resentment and grudge have they accumulated.

Well, it might be possible if it's accumulated over a thousand years.

I wonder what the end goal of this experiment is. Given the story of Kayden's childhood experiments, it seems unlikely that this is simply an experiment planned by Jenas and Anata.

And I don't think it was for their own personal gain.

With that thought, I reloaded my flare gun. Then I lowered the hammer and pulled the trigger, firing at the approaching monsters.

-boom!

"Shit, I don't see a way," Kayden said impatiently.

Above our heads, the cave was crumbling and huge boulders were falling.

-boom!

We ended up surrounded by monsters. We could kill them, but there was no end in sight. Where the hell did they come from?

"Margaret, be careful," said Enoch, carrying Diego on his shoulder, pushing me behind his back.

Things are not looking too good.