Chapter 156

"No way. He's really dead?"

Anata shook her head, repeating the words in disbelief. It was not easy to believe that Jenas was dead.

How had we survived for a thousand years, and then he died so easily? How could that make sense? Jenas was a mage who would have left me an excuse to survive even in the worst of times.

Anata felt an emptiness in her chest, as if it were hollow.

Her final goal was to get her descendant and her test subjects to escape, and there was no such thing as Jenas' death. She couldn't believe he was dead.

'Am I really okay?'

Anata asked herself.

But no answer came.

She was prepared for the millennium's plan to fall apart as she tried to get the last of her test subjects to escape. But she hadn't thought about the death of her brother, who had been with her for a thousand years.

No, this is futile. Futile.

She knew she didn't deserve it, but she couldn't shake the feeling that her own existence had been denied by his death.

"Where is Jenas' body?" Anata asked again, her voice weak.

Arthdal, covered in blood, answered for Margaret. "What difference does knowing that make? Why? To get revenge?"

Anata froze at Arthdal's words.

"Revenge......? Is this an emotion that can be defined by that one word?"

She replied with a hollow look on her face, then burst out laughing. It was a hollow laugh, like an empty tin can.

After laughing like a madman for a while, she slowly rose from her seat.

"Take me to where Jenas is. If this door is a trap, there's another way to open it."

"Another way?"

Margaret gave Anata an uneasy glance, but Anata was adamant. "Take me to Jenas, and I'll explain it to you. Jenas may have fooled me once, but not twice. I'm the one who set up the system on this island."

Yuanna narrowed her eyes as if she couldn't understand Anata's words. "I appreciate that you're all trying to get me off the island, but I can't delay everyone's escape because of me. I've already made up my mind, so please don't worry about me and find the best way to escape."

Diego, who had been listening to the conversation in silence, spoke up, his face filled with displeasure at Yuanna's words. "I can't leave you here, and if you want to stay, I'll go with you."

His stern and decisive tone made Yuanna look puzzled, and Anata, who had been listening to their conversation, burst out laughing.

"I'm not going all the way back to save the Saintess, so don't get into that mood."

Despite Anata's words, Yuanna and Diego's serious faces didn't lighten.

"Alright, then, let's go."

No sooner had Margaret spoken than the tip of Enoch's sword was menacingly at the nape of Anata's neck.

"Don't pull any stunts."

"It's not like you have any other choice, anyway," Anata replied, and Margaret meekly led her to where Jenas was.

Anata followed Margaret and glanced at Kayden, who was being carried by Diego.

The earring in Kayden's ear tinkled and sparkled.

Everyone else seemed too preoccupied to notice.

Anata looked away quietly. She pretended not to notice that Kayden's earring had sparkled for a moment.