Chapter 157

***

I led Anata to the front yard of the cabin where Jenas's body lay.

There, his wounded body lay in a pool of blood. His breath was already gone.

I thought it would be hard to kill him. But in the end, was the archmage also a person with imperfections?

Anata staggered forward and dropped to her knees in front of Jenas. We watched wordlessly.

Except for Diego, who stood wary of her, still carrying Kayden.

Anata's shoulders shook. She was sobbing. After crying like that for a while, Anata looked up, her face a mess.

She turned to me and asked, "What about the pendant?"

Without taking the pendant out of my pocket, I replied, "I'll ask you again. Did you really not know that you're not supposed to force open the escape door?"

She looked at me helplessly, like someone who had lost the will to answer.

Before long, Anata nodded slowly. "I really didn't know, but would you believe me no matter how much I told you?"

"If you can convince me why you helped us...... I'll believe you."

Hearing my words, Anata glanced at Kayden, whom Diego was carrying with one arm.

Kayden still hadn't woken up from his earlier collapse. It looked like he had overexerted himself.

"I know I'm a sinful human being, but I'm not sure I can convince you anymore. I'm the one who designed this whole damn experiment."

Anata looked at me as if she had no intention of explaining anything, telling me to kill her if I wanted to.

Maybe what she said was true. It seemed unlikely that Jenas would have told someone who had betrayed her, even if she was his own sister, of the trap he'd laid.

"Yeah, well, that's not going to convince us. You're one of the designers of this damn experiment." Arthdal's face flushed with anger.

He was covering one of his eyes with a cloth torn from his t-shirt, and thanks to Yuanna's divine power, the bleeding had stopped.

Enoch, still with his sword drawn toward Anata, spoke murderously, "The only reason I am not killing you now is because you are the only one who knows how to escape."

Anata buried her face in her hands in agony.

"But I want you to believe me, it was me and Jenas who designed and led the experiment on the island, but it wasn't just the two of us. There were other people involved, other forces, other wizards, and they all died on the island instead of surviving."

"......"

Yeah. I had expected that. The Holy See and House Rohade were involved in this experiment. Not that I didn't expect there to be others who colluded in sending us here.

"Everyone who came with me is dead, so I'm alone."

That's what little Jenas said to me when I first met him. He was clearly referring to the "people" he came with, not "someone" he came with.

Jenas' cabin was far too large for two people. It had too many rooms for at least ten people to stay in.

And it was messy, as if it had been occupied by quite a few people, not just one or two.

"They've been out there for a thousand years, sponsoring this experiment, killing those who oppose it, killing those who know about it, and doing it over and over again, all because Jenas, the mastermind of the experiment, has kept them all in line."