Chapter 97

Maybe everyone thinks I'm dead and isn't looking for me. In fact, it is surprising that I am still alive.

'Well, Kayden and I did survive one fall off a cliff.'

However, at that time we fell vertically into a river with a calm current, not a big river flowing through the island.

'As soon as the suspension bridge broke, I fell into a big, fast-flowing river. Logically, how could one survive that?'

It's not just a thing or two that is strange about this island though. In the past, many things have happened that are difficult to explain to the extent that even reasoning is impossible.

I remembered again that Jenas has lived a thousand years. I don't think I'll have to endure the next thousand years, do I?

"You must have struggled not to go crazy for a thousand years."

I encouraged Jenas to talk while keeping my gaze fixed on the fireplace. Jenas' gaze touched my face.

He looked at me for a while and then asked me. "......do I look like that?"

I nodded. "Yeah. I don't know how you feel inside, but I think it's amazing you look that calm."

On the other hand, there's Kayden who once you see him you'll know he's a maniac. I turned my head slightly and looked at him lying on the hammock.

The boy, still expressionless, was staring blankly at me.

"What have you been doing on this island for a thousand years?"

Jenas looked up at the sky as if thinking about the answer to my question.

"There was no time to be bored."

He doesn't seem to want to say what he's been doing all this time. I struggled to swallow the ominous assumptions about Jenas that somehow came to mind.

"Did you find out anything about this island? If you've been here for a thousand years, you've figured something out, right? Like the reason you were kidnapped, and is there really no way to escape?"

"No."

"What?"

I frowned in surprise at Jenas' resolute answer.

"No? Nothing?"

Jenas nodded his head calmly in response to my question.

"No. So don't get your hopes up."

I do not quite understand. Isn't the escape door opened every year on this island?

However, it is impossible to bring it up directly to someone I just met.

Feeling a little frustrated, I sighed. "There must be a cause to have an effect. If there is a way in, there must be a way out. You just couldn't find it."

As I said that, I became somewhat emotional without myself realizing it.

"It's so stupid to give up on everything without knowing why you woke up on this island just because you thought there was no way to escape. Did you spend a thousand years so complacently?"

I got emotional and my voice got a little higher. But Jenas, who looked at me, was still calm. He spoke to me in a very calm voice.

"You don't know how I spent a thousand years."

I couldn't understand what he said.

"Yeah, I don't know. I haven't lived for a thousand years, how can I know? It may sound funny to you, but I won't give up."