Chapter 121

I thought it was a hallway connected to the outside because the light was coming down from above. Unfortunately, it wasn't sunlight.

The ceiling was barricaded with wooden bars like a cage in a sewer. What could be seen through the wooden bars was the flickering of torches hanging on the walls.

It seems to be upstairs, not outside.

"I think we should go upstairs."

There's no way to walk forward. I guess the path I came to wasn't a hallway, but a byway.

I had to jump up lightly because I couldn't reach the ceiling even on my tiptoes. However, even if I push with force, the wooden bars do not budge. I tried to jump and climb the walls, but it was not easy to lift the wooden bars.

"Dammit."

I gave up and sat down slumped.

There must be another way to enter, but then I have to go back the way I came and find a new entrance.

"......"

I was very distraught because that was the only thing I could think of right now. This is a complete waste of time.

Then, suddenly, a question crossed my mind.

'By the way, who lit the torches upstairs?'

There should be no one here.

Thinking about that, I leaned my back against the wall, but the wall behind me suddenly disappeared. Thanks to that, I was so shocked.

I don't even know how it happened. Did one side of the wall not exist from the beginning, or did it disappear the moment I leaned my back against it?

I jumped up from my seat and ran out into the hallway to relative safety. There's a hole in the wall where I was just leaning, and a new path was opened.

I looked around the new path and looked straight ahead. Even when I lifted the torch, I had no idea what lay at the end of this path.

"I'm getting more and more anxious because I feel like I've stepped into a maze."

Resolutely determined, I passed through the newly opened path, holding the torch tightly in my hand.

While I was walking through the endless hallway again, I suddenly felt my feet wet and sinking, and I fell forward. Since I was walking with the torch in hand, I couldn't see the floor properly.

My feet kept sinking deeper and deeper into the floor, which I could only guess was a swamp or something, there was no way to tell. Damn it.

Just in case, I threw the crossbody bag I was carrying toward a part of the floor that looked relatively dry. Then I struggled to get out of the mud. But the more I did, the deeper in I fell.

At that moment, several white bones protruded from the mud. They looked like skeleton arms. They soon groped around reaching out of the mud as if looking for something.

'Goddammit. I can't get caught.'

I hurriedly tried to pull myself out of the mud, but my lower body was already submerged.

When I didn't know what to do, Eunji, who was wrapped around my arm, then climbed on my head. He spewed fire at the bones rising from the mud, but they didn't catch fire. They sure seem to have magical powers.

Why the hell are they here, and what do they want? I don't know what you are, but let me go!

Then two skeletal hands near me found me and grabbed me by the shoulders. Eunji on top of my head spewed fire at them but to no avail.