Chapter 75

I checked Enoch's condition as soon as I woke up in the morning. He had yet to regain consciousness, most likely due to the exhaustion of last night's ordeal.

His fever hadn't broken, thus I wiped his sweaty face with a damp cloth while I scrutinized his wound for any signs of healing. Ruzef was seated beside me, curiously studying the medicine in the first-aid kit.

"Lady Margaret, what kind of remedy did you say this was?" he asked.

I gave him a simple explanation that he would be able to grasp.

Perhaps because we all slept on the first floor of the cabin, Arthdal and Yuanna woke up early along with the others as well. Yuanna and Diego were preparing breakfast, while Kayden was piling wood he had gathered earlier into the fireplace.

I stopped mid-discussion with Ruzef and lifted my head when the Hestian prince stood in the center of the living room and drew attention to himself.

"I say we rearrange the division of the group members for our excursion. That man can't go anywhere in his condition," Arthdal said, pointing to Enoch.

He was right. Someone had to go in place of Enoch for the journey to Yuanna's location where she initially woke up.

"His Highness needs Lady Margaret by his side, thus she should also be excluded from the reconnaissance mission."

Everyone was aware of Enoch's separation anxiety now. Embarrassed, I kept my mouth shut.

"So be it," Yuanna spoke passively, and then resumed washing mushrooms in a coconut bowl.

Pondering Arthdal's words, I glanced at Kayden. He yawned, carrying an attitude that said he didn't care about Arthdal's suggestion.

"Kayden, you should go."

He immediately turned my offer down. "What? No. If you aren't going, then I won't either."

"I need to stay with Enoch, and Ruzef has to help me take care of him. You're the only one in our group who can go."

"The knight commander and crown prince of Hestia are present—"

"They are not contributing on our behalf. Do you understand?"

Kayden pouted out of dissatisfaction but nodded belatedly. "I want to stay with you, Margaret. I also have separation anxiety."

I shook my head at Kayden's absurd excuse in bemusement. Suddenly, I remembered what he had said a few days ago.

"Even if I die trying to save you, I want you to live."

When I had asked if that was a confession, Kayden's answer was a wistful look.

He had a contradicting demeanor. If I hadn't read the novel, I might have mistaken Kayden's reckless attitude as a result of fondness for me.

And even if that was the case, it didn't compare to Enoch's view of me.

With that in mind, I made a suggestion, "When you come back, I'll grant you one wish."

The gloomy man's head shot up, eyes twinkling. "Anything?"

"It will be difficult to grant whatever you want, therefore I'll do what I'm able to in our situation."

"Hm." Kayden cupped his chin and pondered over my words. After a while, he nodded. "Fine."

Proud of myself for handling him in a timely manner, I automatically stroked his hair like I would with a puppy.

"Has the Lord decided to participate? Very well, then the members of the excursion will be Saint Yuanna, Lord Kayden, and Sir Diego."