79.- The Hunt For Muggleborns

Y/N's P.O.V:

I had a habit of finding my comfort in work. From schoolwork to the Ministry. It brought my mind off from things, like my personal mini escape were I went into autopilot and just worked. Whenever I felt stressed, I went into work. The even better part was that I got payed for it. But then they took that away from me, my whole comfort, gone. Gone for something I didn't even have control of.

At first I thought the posters were a joke, a prank being pulled between coworkers, we always enjoyed doing one of those. But when I saw them dragging that woman who was screaming for help down to the court levels, it all became too real. "Tonks!" Thankfully Tonks stood out along the prying crowd, you can't exactly blend in with bright pink hair. (A/N: Wouldn't I know 'bout that 😃😂) "What the hell is going on?" She sighed and pulled me to the side, hiding behind a pillar. Hiding was never a good sign. "The Ministry released a new order, they're checking every single muggleborn, claiming that they're not actual witches and wizards" I scoffed, another man being dragged down, his screams echoing across the halls. The entire ordeal was stupid. "That's bullshit" Tonks shrugged, shielding me even more with her body so no one would see me, after all surprisingly I was the only muggleborn in the entire auror department, and knowing my dickheads of coworkers, they would rat me out without a second thought. "I know. They're even questioning half-bloods but that's not the point. You need to leave, tell Oliver someway" I sighed, secretly positioning my wand at the tip of my fingers. "What about you? You're a half-blood" She shrugged, also readjusting her wand. "I'll manage. Go" I nodded one last time and the sneaked out from behind the pillar.

Nerve racking doesn't even begin to describe the situation, I had to keep hiding behind each dark corner that I could so no one could spot me. I hadn't tried to hide from a crowd in such a long time you'd think I would've lost practice, good thing I didn't. But the tricky part was not avoiding the crowd of Ministry workers trying to get a look at the poor muggleborns who were being dragged to their deaths, the tricky part was getting past security at the exit. It seemed fairly empty at first glance, but I knew better, they just liked hiding. I walked as confidently as I could towards the exit, clutching my wand so tightly I could've sworn it would break. "Leaving so soon L/N? The fun just started" That guard had always had a thing for me, he didn't get the hint when I said I had a boyfriend, he didn't even get the hint when I showed up with the ring, kind of reminded me of Marcus Flint back from Hogwarts. "Family emergency. You know how it is" I tried to walk past him, but he was way too tall and muscular to even exist. No wonder he guarded the Ministry. "Yeah, family. You never mentioned your parent's names thinking back" If he figured out I was a muggleborn, I was surely a goner. Luckily I had the power of avoiding questions. "No, I didn't. If you'll excuse me" I managed to take two steps before he blocked my path yet again. He was so annoying I would've just slapped him and left, but I had to keep things civilized. "A good pal from mine works in the same department as you, and I could've sworn he said 'Y/N L/N is a mudblood' but you wouldn't know anything about that. Would ya?" I hated being called a mudblood, it was an insult over something you couldn't control or change, it's not like being a pure blood or half-blood made you better at something, heck, I was the best one in my class and most of those fuckers were half bloods and or pure bloods. I didn't event notice that I had clenched my fists out of anger, if I stayed there I would've punched the shit out of him. "Good day" I pushed past him but he harshly grabbed my arm. "I got a mudblood here!" And I was screwed,  I heard a bunch of footsteps thundering towards me, I was left with only one option, kick the dude in the groin. Beat a wizard with the good old muggle ways. He doubled over in pain, not even being able to reach for his wand that I kicked away, I didn't need any surprises as I ran for my life.