4.- He's a Good Listener

Y/N's P.O.V:
Tomorrow was our first game of the season against Hufflepuff, (A/N: I have no idea how the games went before Harry arrived so just go with my madness :-P) I was nervous to say the least. I couldn't focus properly on any of the classes, Professor Flitwick seemed to notice when I couldn't preform aguamenti (which I had already mastered last class) When class was over I heard Professor Flitwick yell calmly. "L/N a word please" Everyone left the room giving me worried glances as I slowly gathered my things and walked over to Professor Flitwick. "Professor I'm so sorry it-" He calmly turned around. "May I suggest you go to Madam Pomfrey's and ask her for some calming draught for tomorrow" I nodded and started walking out. "L/N?" I turned around to face Professor Flitwick again. "I'm sure you're going to win" I smiled and nodded then left.
The next morning the whole Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff tables were noisier than usual. My hands were shaking as I tried to eat breakfast, I kept trying to not think about quidditch but it was hard considering most of the game rested upon my shoulders. I didn't even notice Davies sit across me. "Morning L/N, are you ready for the game?" I gulped down the lump in my throat and Davies nodded in response. "Well if you do half as good as you did in tryouts we'll win in no time" I nodded and started playing with my breakfast again, Davies placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. "Just don't get too cocky" I finally laughed with him and smirked. "No promises" He punched my shoulder jokingly and then left. I drank the last of my pumpkin juice and started walking towards the pitch when Oliver caught up with me. He patted my shoulder. "I hope you win" I raised an eyebrow towards him. He cleared his throat. "I-know you'll win" I smirked. "That's better" We both laughed and he wanted to say something but before he could I started running. I quickly changed into my quidditch robes and listened to Davies's speech, or at least tried. I picked up words like "win" "game" and "good". "Let's go!" Davies yelled, we all stood up and grabbed our brooms, my place was next to Davies at the front. He whispered. "Ready?" I looked up at him. "Never" And then we stepped out into the pitch.
Oliver's P.O.V:
I watched as both teams stepped out into the pitch, everyone looked confident and determined except for a certain Ravenclaw who was shaking on the broom, I wanted to comfort her but the game had already started.
I watched as people flew back and forth while Y/N hovered in the middle, she clapped when Ravenclaw scored and booed loudly when Hufflepuff scored, Ravenclaw was ahead 30-20 but it was still a pretty close match. I was thinking of many possible ways of how the keepers could have saved some goals when a scream from Lee Jordan pierced through my ears. "THEY'RE CHASING THE SNITCH" I looked up to see Y/N and the Hufflepuff seeker (A/N: I ran out of imaginary names) flying towards the snitch that was on the Hufflepuff goal posts. They were so close to catching it but then it disappeared once more. Both sides groaned loudly and went back to watching the chasers score but I on the other hand noticed how Y/N ran a frustrated hand over her hair while she nervously kept playing with her hands, I was probably the only one paying attention to the nervous Ravenclaw seeker instead of the actual game, I felt a nudge in my ribs and turned around to the source it was Angelina pointing towards the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff chasers battling in the field for the quaffle, that was Angelina's way of saying stop staring at the girl and keep taking notes, and so I did.
Some more time later I heard Lee comment again. "And they've found the snitch once more!" He didn't say it with as much enthusiasm but still enough to grab everyone's attention. Y/N and the Hufflepuff seeker where zooming around the pitch once more, the snitch turned up into the sky and both seekers followed close behind, we all sat at edge of our seats and then both seekers came back down defeated, Y/N ran another frustrated hand through her hair, after the whole game she finally turned to look the Gryffindor section, I smiled and flashed a discreet thumbs up towards her since it wasn't wise to see the Gryffindor captain supporting the Ravenclaw seeker, she nodded slightly towards me and zoomed off searching again, I turned back to the game.
Y/N's P.O.V:
I was incredibly frustrated I had already lost the snitch TWICE, I was about to have a break down mid air, I turned to look at each of the house's stands when I saw Oliver flashing a thumbs up towards me, it was barley noticeable but it helped nevertheless I nodded and zoomed of to search for the snitch once more. I was growing frustrated so I just stopped searching for a second and took deep breaths. "Tired already L/N?" I turned to face the Hufflepuff seeker hovering next to me. "You wish" We laughed together. "I'm just frustrated, my first game and I can't manage to catch the snitch" He placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. "My first game I lost the snitch because I sneezed, so you can't do worse than me" We both laughed and I held my hand for him to shake. "May the best seeker win" He nodded and shook my hand and for perfect timing I saw the glint of gold next to Davies who was in the middle of the pitch, I smirked and flew past the Hufflepuff and straight to the snitch, we were both chasing it I could hear faint cheers but all my attention was focused on the snitch. It flew down and we were about to crash the Hufflepuff seeker flew up but I was determined I let go of my broom and lunged at the snitch, I grabbed the first thing I touched and then fell to the ground, my right arm cracked and I bit my lip to keep the pain away, I raised my left hand and saw the golden ball, and that's when I heard Jordan's comment. "Y/N L/N HAS CAUGHT THE SNITCH!!! 150 POINT TO RAVENCLAW, RAVENCLAW WINS!!" I sighed happily and all the team came over to me to hug me, Davies crushed me in a hug but I winced and pulled away, he saw how I held my right arm and instead placed a hand on my shoulder. "That was amazing!" "Thanks, but I think I need to go to Madam Pomfrey" He nodded and guided me through the crowd.
Madam Pomfrey fixed my arm but bandaged it as a precaution, she had left to get the bandages so I just layes back in the hospital bed, not believing that I had caught the snitch. I heard footsteps but ignored them thinking they were Madam Pomfrey's. "Nice move" I sat up to look at the brown haired Gryffindor. "Thanks" He pointed at my right arm. "How's the arm?" "I'll still be able to play so good I guess" He laughed at my joke, and started to leave. "Thank by the way" He turned around with his hands in his pockets. "What do you mean?" I smirked. "For helping me avoid a breakdown halfway through the game" He smiled. "I just gave you encouragement you did the rest. See ya later L/N" I nodded and he left. Madam Pomfrey came back a few seconds later and started to bandage my arm. "Young love, so sweet" I raised an eyebrow towards her and she chuckled. "What are you talking about?" She didn't look up at me and kept bandaging my arm. "It appears that mr Wood has a little crush on you" I scoffed. "No way" She finished bandaging my arm and stood up. "Trust me miss L/N, you two are made for each other" I looked confusedly at Madam Pomfrey. "And why would that be?" She sat down once more at the edge of my bed. "Well I've had plenty of conversations with Wood, he's been here far too many times. He really is an open and understanding person and that's exactly what you need" I smirked. "You've has your fair share of conversations with me as well" She laughed. "That's precisely how I know he's the right person for you" I took a deep breath and stood up from the bed. "I think I'll be leaving now, have a nice day Madam Pomfrey" "You as well" I walked away from the medical wing thinking, did Oliver really have a crush on me?
Oliver's P.O.V:
I sat down in the common room smiling like an idiot next to Percy, I hummed a bit as I started doing my homework. "Okay that's enough, what's gotten into you Wood?" I looked up at Percy still with an idiotic grin. "What are you talking about?" He shut his book and looked at me directly. "You've been smiling like and idiot do the past few minutes, you've never been this happy" My grin disappeared immediately and was replaced by a slight blush. "Want to talk about it?" I shook my head, Percy opened his book once more and started reading. "Hello dear brother" I looked up to see the Weasley twins grinning at Percy. "What has got you so happy today Perce?" "Well McGonagall said I might become a prefect next year so-" "Is that why you were humming so happily?" I knew exactly what was coming and Percy was definitely going to rat me out so that his brothers still didn't have leverage over him. "It wasn't me, that was Oliver" And there was my doom. The twins smirked and turned towards me. "Now, now Wood what's got you so happy" I cleared my throat trying to keep my cool. "Well Ravenclaw son and after seeing how they play I'm sure we'll have some really good competi-" "Are you sure it isn't because your girlfriend won in her first game?" My ears turned pink but I managed to keep most of my normal color. "I don't have a girlfriend" The twins smirked at each other and then turned back to me. "Or does it have something to do with the thumbs up you gave her when she was having a mental breakdown" They both said at the same time, it was quite impressive how they knew word by word what the other was going to say but my amazement didn't stop me from going pink. "N-no" Why did I stutter? Now that moment was definitely my doom. The twins smirked once more. "Whatever you say Wood" They left with smirks on their faces and I went back to trying to concentrate on my book.
Y/N's P.O.V:
It was now winter and it was freezing, today was the day everyone left for the Holidays, but I didn't. My mom said at the beginning of the year that she would rather I stay at Hogwarts so that she could work extra hours and be able to spend the Holidays between years with me, so I would be staying.
I was sitting outside under the usual tree reading (since it was too cold to play), there was snow on the floor and even more falling but I didn't care, it was peaceful and that's all I wanted. I heard the snow crunching and knew exactly who it was, before he could even say anything I spoke. "Hello Wood" I turned around and he stopped dead in his tracks, his cheeks were a bright shade of pink, I assumed because of the cold. "How did you know it was me?" I turned back to my book. "You're the only one who know about this place, and the only one crazy enough to come outside" He chuckled and stood in front of me, his cheeks were now red, I thought he was getting colder. "Are you leaving?" I shook my head. "My mom wanted to work extra hours so she could spend more time with me when I returned" He knew the conversation was going for the long run so he sat next to me. "What about your dad?" I tensed up and closed the book and started playing with my scarf. "He-he's not in the picture" He placed a hand on my arm rubbing it. "I'm sorry" I was turning bright red, thank gosh for the cold. "It-it's fine"
He stopped rubbing my arm but still kept his hand on it. "Do you want to talk about it?" My eyes were starting to tear up but I kept the tears in and managed a weak laugh. "You'll be late for the train" He took his hand off and crossed his arms, I suddenly felt colder but didn't show it. "I'll be fine" I took a deep breath. "Well I don't remember much but he left when I was really young, my mom begged him to at least send a bit of money so that I could survive since my mom couldn't work and-and" I couldn't hold it anymore tears fell from my eyes, I had never really talked about it. Oliver noticed and pulled me into a hug, he was really warm considering the weather, I never sniffles but his clothes were getting wet from my tears, I took a few deep breaths, he whispered in my ear. "You don't need to continue" I shook my head and wiped my eyes getting free from his hug. "I do. Ever since then my mom has been working every day almost the whole day, the best thing that ever happened was me receiving my Hogwarts letter, that meant that my mom wouldn't have to waste food on me" He cleared a tear from my eye while his hand hovered before my cheek, I looked up at him and he quickly retracted his hand. "You're not a waste" I was about to argue but he stopped me. "Don't argue" I laughed slightly and he smiled slightly. "I never really told anyone that. You're a good listener Wood" "I try" We both laughed and I pointed at the stained robes. "I'm sorry about the tears" He looked down apparently noticing it for the first time and shook his head. "Don't worry about it" I sniffled and cleared my eyes. "What are you doing here anyways? Aside from uncovering my vulnerable side" He chuckled and reached into his pocket. "Well I came to say goodbye and give you this" He pulled out a red box with a silver ribbon and handed it to me, I took it and he stood up. "I-I'm sorry I didn't get you anything" "Don't worry I'm sure you'll find a way to make up for it, Merry Christmas L/N" "Merry Christmas L/N" (A/N: Sorry if you don't celebrate Christmas but I didn't know what else to write) He walked away and left me sitting there thinking of what Madam Pomfrey had said before. He really was a good listener.
I left the present in my trunk and decided not to open until Christmas. That morning was a cold one, all my roommates had left for the Holidays and I was more than happy to have the dorm to myself. I didn't really have presents to look forwards too so I just went downstairs to have breakfast. I ran into Peeves on the way to the Great Hall, he was placing gooey snow on top of the doors. "Merry Christmas Peeves" He turned around and grinned evilly. "Hello Y/N" I pointed at the gooey snow on top of the doors. "You could save some of that and place it outside, it would be much more chaotic" "Who said you couldn't be a good prankster Y/N?" I laughed with him. "My shyness, anyways see ya Peeves" "Bye bye L/N".
The great hall was filled with sweets and beautifully decorated trees, almost everyone had gone home except a couple of first year Ravenclaws, a third and fifth year Slytherin and a third year Gryffindor, I had seen the Gryffindor girl before she hung out around Wood. The girl noticed my stares and I immediately went back to my breakfast. The girl walked over to my table and sat in front of me, I ignored her the best I could. "Hello" "Hi" my voice was barley above a whisper, she held a hand out towards me. "I'm Angelina Johnson-" "I know" I didn't even look up to see her but I knew she had a confused look on her face, before she could say anything I cut her off. "You're a Gryffindor chaser and usually hang around Katie Bell, Fred Weasley, George Weasley and Oliver Wood" I finally looked up to her and I thought she would be mad or something but she started laughing, I was really confused. "And I'm guessing you're Y/N L/N" I nodded. "Oliver talks a lot about you" "I hope bad things" She laughed and I laughed slightly with her. "You wish" "I do" She started getting comfortable and began eating her breakfast. "So why are you staying?" "Long story" "Not a talker huh? Well I'm staying because my parents are celebrating their honeymoon" I nodded in acknowledgment and kept eating. "Do you want maybe to hang out?" "Don't puso it Johnson, I'm already talking to you without threatening you" She laughed and stood up. "Alright, but if you change your mind the offer still stands" She left the great hall and I waited a bit before leaving as well.
I went back to my common room and sat facing my trunk, it was finally time of opening Oliver's present. I was more scared than excited, what if he just did it as a prank and never even actually liked it. I paced the room nervously looking occasionally at the red present on top of my trunk, I finally stopped and took the present in my hands carefully opening it clutching my wand in case I needed to defend myself but when I opened it nothing happened, I looked inside the box and there were two things with a note, the first thing was a notepad with a pencil and a pair of quidditch gloves, I read the note:
Merry Christmas,
The notepad is for when you feel like spilling your feeling outs, or stabbing it or throwing a ball of paper towards someone, basically whatever you want. And the gloves are for better grip, I noticed your hands slipping during your last quidditch match and these are the best of the best in gloves so I really hope they help you.
With love,
Oliver Wood
I couldn't believe what I was reading, he actually gave me a nice present. I tried on my new gloves, they were a bit stiff but amazing. I noticed the notepad and remember what Oliver had said earlier.
I spent the rest of the day perfecting my Oliver sketch with a little note at the bottom.
Here's your compensation ;-)
-Y/N L/N
Word count:3253
A/N: Sorry for not posting I had a small case of writer's block, but I hope this long-ish chapter compensates