7.-Life pre Hogwarts

Y/N's P.O.V:
My mom opened the door into our small house, I walked in taking a deep breath of air, it wasn't at all fresh but it smelled like home and that was all that mattered. I hear my mom walk into the kitchen and I followed still glancing around the old shaggy house. She put a kettle on and then handed me a cup sitting across me. "Now tell me about this new boyfriend of yours" I rolled my eyes "He's just a friend" "Fine tell me about this friend of yours" She accentuated the word "friends" with a tone that suggested that she didn't believe me, so I rolled my eyes once more. "Well his name is Oliver Wood, we met at the beginning of the year in the train and we talk the end" My mom stood up taking the cup of my hand and started serving tea. "If that's the end then why did you turn red when you said his name?" That was my mom, being able to read me like a book. I could hear her smirk without even looking at her and I turned as red as a tomato. "I-well something did happen" She smirked and handed me a cup with tea, I shyly took it and she once more sat before me. "Tell me all about it" I stirred my tea and took slow quick sips. "Well he gave me a Christmas present and then-" I took a long deep breath. "We nearly kissed" My voice was barely above a whisper but my mom still heard and squealed. "And on the journey back I woke up to us cuddling. But nothing has happened yet, and nothing WILL EVER happen" My mom grabbed my hand sweetly with a huge grin on her face. "In my experience you don't just nearly kiss and cuddle with anyone" My face turned even redder as my mom stood up and went for some food. Did I really like Oliver Wood?
A few days later in the morning, I was washing dishes while my mom cleaned the house when my mom screamed bloody murder and then shrieked, I ran after my mom with a pan in my hand (A/N: another reference ;-)), in the middle of the living room on top of our couch a brown owl sat with a letter, my mom was opposite of the owl holding a broom towards it, I stepped between the broom and the owl trying to calm my mom down. "Relax that's like wizards post" "W-w-wizards post?" I nodded, she slowly lowered the broom and backed away to a corner, I went to the kitchen and grabbed a piece of bacon, the owl dropped the letter on my hand and I handed it the bacon which he accepted gleefully, the initials O.W. My mom was behind me still clutching the broom. "Who's ow? Is it your crush?!" I sighed and sat down on the couch to read the letter, my mom still terrified of the bird.
Dear Y/N,
I'm really sorry about how you woke up in the train, I well G̶e̶o̶r̶g̶e̶ Fred made me do it, and I'm really really sorry.
His lettering was slightly smudged so I guessed he was nervous writing that letter.
I well, I forgot to tell you I was going to send Apollo to you, (A/N: Is there any specific name for his owl? I don't think so) it must've been a big surprise, from what I heard muggles aren't used to receiving owls, I apologize in advance if I frightened you or your mother. I already started practicing Quidditch, shocker right? Bloody hell I don't know what ese to write, I should not have said that from, what I've read it's not good to end a letter with that.
Anyways with lots of L̶o̶v̶e̶ quidditch
Oliver Wood
He must've been really nervous considering he scratched out two words, I smiled and my mom smirked still terrified at Apollo. "It is from your boyfriend"I rolled my eyes still smiling. "Not my boyfriend but yes it is from Wood" She raises her eyebrows. "Wood?" "That's just what I call him" "Are you going to reply?" I nodded and started to leave before I stopped and turned around to face my mom once more. "Try not to scare Apollo off" "Apollo?" "The owl has a name mom" "Right...owls have names" she whispered to herself, I had to admit it was quite funny to see her so flustered. I ran into my room and took out some parchment, ink and my quill and started writing.
Wood,
Don't worry about the whole "cuddling" incident, I understand it was a dare.
A little of a heads up about Apollo coming would've been good. My mom nearly had a heart attack thanks to you. And you are right muggles don't receive mail through owls, they normally leave letters in a post box outside and someone else comes and takes them to the correct address.
As much as I would love to keep telling you how muggle post works, I have to rush this letter because I fear my mom might kill Apollo thinking he's a rat with wings.
See ya back at Hogwarts or the next letter ;-)
Y/N L/N
I rolled the parchment and went back downstairs, I handed Apollo my letter and pat him, he hooted and flew out the window. "I'm never going to get used to how the wizarding world works" I laughed and grabbed a mop to help.
Letters kept on coming and going and my mom had the suspicions that we might like each other, but I decided to act against it. But one day a weird letter arrived.
Dear Y/N,
I can't hold myself any longer, ever since we met at the train I felt a certain connection. I love you Y/N L/N.
Sincerely
Oliver Wood
I couldn't believe what I had just read, I dropped the spoon I was holding onto my plate. "Are you okay honey?" I was staring at the letter with wide eyes. "I-I-you-well- read" I handed her the letter and she read it as I rested my head on my hands, repeating to myself "This isn't real this isn't real" "This is wonderful!!!" My head snapped up. "What are you talking about! This is horrible I don't even know how to reject him kindly!" "And why would you do such a thing? After all you do like him back don't you" Did I like him back was the million dollar question, I did like him but I thought only as a friend? "I-I don't know!"I groaned and rested my forehead against the edge of the table, my hugged me comfortingly. "Well we're going to Draigon Alley next week, you can think about until then. After all I hear men love to be kept waiting" I laughed quietly at how after all this time (A/N: Always :-P second time in the book lol) she still didn't understand the wizarding world. I nodded and rested my head against her shoulder as she rubbed circles on my back. "Thanks mom" She kisses the top of my forehead. "Anytime" "By the way it's Diagon Alley not Draigon" She scoffed and shoved me playfully. "Same thing"
I spent the next week devising a plan on how I was going to approach Oliver and what I was going to say, I love you too? Or , I'm sorry but I only see you as a friend? I read countless books about relationships and my mom gave me lots of advice and when the day finally arrived I wasn't ready.
We walked into Diagon Alley and straight to Gringotts, my mom had to wear her uniform because as soon as we exchanged muggle money she would have to leave for her shift since she couldn't take anymore vacations. I waited outside until my mom came back out with a small brown pouch that was incredibly light, but I didn't complain. She kissed the top of my head and cupped my cheeks. "I-well um maybe-" I cut her off before she started crying again. "I'll only spend it on the necessary, don't worry about it I don't mind" She nodded with tears in her eyes and pulled me into a hug, she let go and left waving me goodbye, I smiled back sadly waving as well. When she was out of sight I opened the pouch, I had just enough for my new books and nothing more. I sighed once more and went to get my supplies. I was leaving when I noticed a huge person walking through the crowds, I immediately recognized him as Hagrid, I walked towards him and noticed he was talking to a much smaller boy with green eyes, messy black hair and glasses. "Hey Hagrid!" He smiled warmly through his beard, he always seemed to cheer me up. "Y/N it's so nice to see you. Got all your supplies I suppose?" I nodded and looked towards the boy, I extended a hand towards him. "Hi I'm Y/N L/N and you are?" He took my hand and shook it. "I'm Harry, Harry Potter" For some reason he whispered his last name and I smiled. "Nice to meet you Harry" He smiled back. "You're the first person to-" He trailed off mid sentence and let go of my hand placing it in his pocket once more."The first person to what?" "To greet me like a normal person and not a celebrity" I looked confusedly at the awkward boy, he sort of reminded me of myself when I started Hogwarts. "Why would I greet you like a-" Hagrid cut me off. "Well Y/N if you don't mind I need to take Harry to Gringotts" I nodded. "You're going to love Hogwarts Harry, I hope you end up in Ravenclaw. See ya!" I was walking again through the crowded streets of Diagon Alley and noticed the quidditch shop, I knew I couldn't afofare anything in that shop but either way I went in, and immediately noticed the person I least wanted to see, Oliver. I took a deep breath and snuck up on him, I slightly poked my wand against his back and whispered in his ears. "Hands in the air Wood" He smirked. "Hey L/N" I took my wand of his back and stood next to him, he smiled and I blushed, it was now or never. "Wood-" "Nice broom huh" He was looking at the new Nimbus 2000, it was a really nice broom but I needed to talk about the letter. "Yeah. Wood we need to talk" He raised and eyebrow and shifted to show that I had his full attention. "About the letter, I'm really flattered but I-I don't see you that way" That probably wasn't entirely the truth, but he seemed surprised so I suppressed that feeling. "What?" I took out the letter where he confessed his feelings and handed it to him, he immediately started reading, when he finished he punched the bridge of his nose and muttered. "Those bloody gits" "Excuse me?" "L/N I'm so sorry, the twins must've pulled a prank on both of us" "So you don't love me?" He handed me back the letter with a smile. "As a friend of course I do" I thought I was relived at the fact that he didn't like me that way, but instead my stomach turned and I felt sad? Feelings were so confusing. I nodded and started walking out but Oliver grabbed my arm. "Wait, do you maybe want to get an ice cream or something?" "Thanks Wood, but I can't afford it" I started leaving again but I crashed into his chest, I blushed even harder. "Come, my treat" "Wood-" "Don't argue" He grabbed my hand and led me to an ice cream parlour.
Oliver's P.O.V:
I dragged Y/N even after all her protests to the ice cream parlour. I tried not looking at her so that I wouldn't regret my words saying that I didn't love her, because she obviously didn't feel the same way, I also resisted the urge to interlock our fingers and instead just stayed grabbing her hand. I greeted the shop owner and turned to Y/N, her eyes where wide in amazement. "What do you want L/N?" She started blushing, that blush FOCUS I yelled in my mind. "I-I've never actually had ice cream outside of Hogwarts before" I nodded and ordered my favourite ice cream, I gave one cone to Y/N and smiled to how her eyes flowed with every lick she took. "Is it good?" She didn't even look at me, she just nodded and kept eating, her eyes closed in pleasure. I couldn't advert my gaze from her lips, still remembering that wonderful dream I had that one Hogwarts night of us kissing, the sweet feeling of her lips against mine. I snapped out of my gaze when I noticed she was looking back and quickly turned away blushing. "Thanks for the ice cream Wood but I have to go" I nodded and she hugged me, I hugged back tightly trying not let my ice cream fall on her. She walked away and I stood there watching, I was an idiot for not using the chance Fred and George gave me to confess my feelings, but I was a coward. I walked back sadly to the quidditch store where I was supposed to meet my parents.
Word count: 2282
A/N: Hey! Sorry for the short chapter but I promise it's about to get juicyyyyy. Also you finally meet Harry Yay! Oh and confessed feelings for Oliver as well but that isn't as important. (Lol jk) See ya next chapter!