Tyler (Chapter 2)

I felt the sun on my back as I came to from my sleep. I opened my eyes slowly to see I fell asleep in my office again. My computer screen was still on, I hate when it falls asleep so I skipped that setting, it's not my electric bill to pay anyway. It was nine in the morning, I should have been working about two hours ago but I overslept. At least I'm not late coming in. I sat up, my back was sore from sleeping slumped over my desk.

I sighed.

My papers were crinkled from sleeping on them. They're not in too bad of shape though. I got to work straightening them out as well as putting them back in order.

"Rise and shine sleeping beauty~"

"I'm already awake", I said without looking to see who it was because I already knew.

"This is your third night in a row sleeping here you know."

"I just get caught up with things Josh."

He sighed.

"Yeah I know. Here...I got you some coffee. Looks like you need it."

He came over and placed the cup on my desk.

Josh is my right hand officer and also my lifelong best friend. We grew up together since we were little, we are like brothers. I've gone through so much, I can't imagine not having him by my side. As we got older though, I learned that he couldn't always be there for me. He has his own life and I have mine. Being a detective makes things hard as well and so I had to learn to shoulder things alone. He didn't like that so he pretty much forced me to take him as his partner. Our Captain didn't want favoritism between us since I'm also a lead officer of cases and such but I never favortized him when we are working. He has never let me down not once.

"Ready for today", he asked.

"Yes and no. It feels like yesterday when we gave that press conference about the latest drug bust. I was hoping another one wasn't going to spring up. I don't know what the deal is with the crime rates, it's out of control."

"You're right. It wasn't like this when we were kids. You think there's one main person in charge of them all."

"I feel like that would be too easy but...it's a possibility. If we look back at all the records and data we have, the crime rates went up dramatically about 10 years ago. The big cities are usually the ones with high crime rates but Greenwaters remained the safest. 10 years ago was when businesses really started taking off here. People were starting to move in because the other cities were getting overpopulated. People just wanted to start over."

"Too bad that those cases did not tie into each other. There was no singular person they could find that had a connection with the different crime organizations. Many of them just moved here because other crime organizations took control of the main cities."