Josh (Chapter 40)🔞

I was currently chasing down Quinn and an unknown driver. He was pretty good out here on the streets, and so was I. Dodging in and out of traffic at night didn't slow me down.

When I had a clear path, I sped up next to them until my eyes met Quinn's who was in the front passenger seat. His window was already rolled down.

He rolled his eyes when he saw me.

"Don't you know when to give up", he shouted.

"Does it look like it? I'll give up when I have you in my car."

"You're an attractive looking guy so that's not a far-fetched idea", he said.

"What? What the hell are you saying you freak?!"

He let out a laugh.

"Look, as much as I would like to hang out and chat, we don't have much time. Our plan didn't really go very well."

"And what was your plan?"

"I don't know. I don't really pay attention during meetings. We figured this was a set up but to have us all separated like this is a pain."

"Well, we're glad to be the cause of your pain."

"Can you just get rid of him, you talk too damn much", the driver said in an aggravated tone.

Quinn's facial expression changed instantly.

*Warning: This scene may be disturbing to some readers 🔞*

I watched him pull out his gun. I did the same but he didn't aim at me, he aimed at the driver and fired, without hesitation. He didn't show a hint of emotion.

The driver slumped over the wheel as the car swerved. Quinn reached over to grab the steering wheel to regain control. He also managed to open the driver's door and then kicked the guy out while the car was still speeding down the road. He moved over to the seat now in full control of the car. In my rearview mirror, I could see the man's body tumbling down the road like a rag doll.

*End of Warning*

I was too speechless to say anything. Quinn's actions shouldn't surprise me but the human in me reacts to something terrible like that. Quinn isn't human.

He wasn't messing around anymore; his face was still serious. He looked at me. I quickly aimed my gun at him.

"Stop the car or I'll shoot", I said.

"Go ahead, does it look like I'm scared?"

As I got a better view, I could see there were spatters of blood on his face from that guy. Quinn has no fear.

"Where are you going now, back to New York", I asked.

"Yeah, I guess so. We can't do much here anymore", he said casually.

At this moment I didn't know what to do. He's obviously a threat but at the same time he's not threatening. Killing him isn't an option because we need him for information. I can't stop him either, he won't surrender.

"Damn it", I whispered to myself.

I lowered my gun and kept on driving side-by-side with him.

"Josh, answer me", it was Tyler over the earpiece.

"Yeah", I said.

"Get back over here", he ordered.

"I can't, I'm right next to Quinn out here on the highway. We can't lose him."

"Just forget about him."

"What?! I'm not going to do that. He's a person we can't afford to let get away."

"I said get over here now!"

"No! I know I'm right to follow him!"

What the hell is his problem?

I ignored Tyler's orders and kept on doing what I thought was right.

"Javier is down", Tyler said.

"What? What do you mean he's down?"

"An officer found him in an alley, he's in critical condition."

I floored the brakes, not even thinking about Quinn anymore. The car skidded down the road to a halt.

"What do you mean-"

"You know exactly what I mean!"

I did. Of course I did but, I didn't want to believe it. This is my fault, all my fault. I left him to follow Quinn. I should have never done that. I just told him we work as a team but I was the one to leave him alone.

"GODDAMN IT", I shouted.

I hit the steering wheel hard multiple times, hitting the horn in the process.

"I'm so goddamn dumb!"

My hands gripped the wheel hard. I then made a sharp turn, driving over the median and back to headquarters.

It started to rain. The drops where small and light, quickly turning into a downpour, wetting me in the process as I left my window down.

That didn't bother me at all.

The amount of guilt I was feeling surpassed everything else.

I let him down.