Javier (Chapter 18)

Mid-July...

I can't believe over 3 weeks have passed by so far since I moved down here to Texas for basic training. Waking up at four in the morning to start the day is easier now. I can't speak for everyone but for me, I've been adapting well. A couple of hours later after bed and uniform checks, we were out for our usual morning run. While most hate it, I find it relaxing. Of course I'm always ahead of the group, not on purpose though. I don't try to show off, we always work as a group. Team work is everything when you are a soldier.

Some might not have gotten the message though.

"So...Hernandez, wanna race now", my fellow airmen to be, Carlos asked.

"No. We aren't doing that so stop asking", I said, trying not to let my annoyance show.

"You just think you're all that...don't you?"

I gritted my teeth.

Carlos is one of those soldiers who just wants to show off, I don't know why he even signed up to be here. I get it, most guys want to be the hero of the day but this is not some video game or movie, this is real life. One of us alone can not defeat the enemy and save lives. If that was the case, they would just have us compete against each other to find the strongest one.

"I never said that so please, just stop."

I slowed down, letting him get what he want by passing me.

"I noticed he's been acting like a big shot hero", one of the guys said.

"I'm Xavier by the way."

"I'm Javier, yeah I caught on. It's best to ignore him, let him have all the glory."

"He might not last long here."

"I'm praying he won't."

Xavier chuckled.

After our morning exercise and drill we had class. One of our classes for the weak was learning how to cope with combat. I noticed many of the other guys aren't taking this course seriously, mostly because we won't be going into combat, hopefully not any time soon. I think you should take everything we learn seriously, no matter if we are going into combat or not at all. You never know when these lessons will come in handy.

Time flew by during class. Soon it was lunch time, finally time to take a break and get to know the boys some more.

"Hey, mind if I sit here."

It was Xavier.

"Of course, you're no stranger to me."

"Glad to here that", he said as he took a seat with his tray.

"Aw man, I think I'm going to really miss my mom's food", he said.

I looked down at my tray.

"Aren't we all? I hate to complain but, they could do a little better when it comes to the food", I said.