Sarina (Chapter 51)

"News update on the hostage situation at Aventara mall. We are getting word that the group responsible for this is said the crime organization, Cosen. Their leader explained the motive for their takeover. He has stated the police, government officials, and other higher-ranking officials that serve the community are not to be trusted as they can easily turn their backs on the public with bribes. We are still unsure how this relates to the hostage situation. So far there has been one casualty. No further updates by the Greenwater PD."

"This is crazy! Taking over a whole mall", Grace shouted.

"I know, this is so bad. I'm so worried."

"I am too...because I know he is out there being forced to do this", Grace said in a soft tone.

As soon as this came out over the news, Grace quickly came over to my house. I knew her concern was Andy.

"I wonder how Javi is doing", I said.

I also wonder how Tyler is doing too but I can't bring him up right now.

"I don't know. I would be terrified if I were him."

I pray everyone makes it out alive.

"This just in! We have one of our staff on the line who is inside the mall. He is live streaming us footage of what's going on inside. It looks like there's some commotion and...we can hear multiple gunshots. Hostages are taking cover, many lay flat on the ground trying to survive. Officers are firing back at the Cosen members. We are not sure if the casualty number has risen."

The live footage was suddenly cut off. 

"We apologize viewers. The footage was becoming too graphic to continue sowing. Please stay tuned for further information."

"Oh my gosh, that sounds terrible! How do we know who's winning", Grace said.

"I have no idea. The officers had to do something but, there's no telling how this will end. I have a feeling if there are more casualties, Cosen will turn words around to try to make the officers look bad", I said.

"So there is no win for their side, huh? People always have something to complain about at the end of the day and Cosen will use that to their advantage. Damn it! I wish there was something Andy could do. I know he hates all of this!"

"He has no choice but to comply for now. There's nothing much he can do."

We sat there for what seemed like forever watching the news. It felt like this fight was never going to end. There were some more casualties and injuries, a mix of civilians, officers and Cosen's men. There was no way for officers to save and protect everyone. I just know Tyler's feeling so guilty right now. This will be marked as a tragic event for Greenwaters. One no one saw coming.

"I can't take it anymore! I have to go!"

"Go where, there", Grace asked.

"Yes...we haven't heard the status of the officers in a while. They said the shooting stopped about an hour ago."

"It's dangerous Sarina. I know, they won't let me in of course. Just cover for me okay?"

"I'm leaving too then, I'll say you went over to my house with me", she said.

We both stood up and headed towards the door. I gave her a big hug.

"I owe you big time. You're the best!"

"You would do the same for me", she said.

We parted ways.

I rushed over to the mall as fast as I could. The last block was taped off. I looked around for a way in. I know they have this block very secure, there won't be any gaps I can slip through.

I let out a sigh.

I'm better off waiting at the station for him but what if he doesn't go there.

 I just decided to wait out here.

Over time news crews and curious onlookers gathered. Eventually, they opened up the block as they were nearing the end of clearing out the scene but for sure the mall won't be open to the public for a long time. People frantically ran to officers asking about their loved ones inside. I felt terrible, some of them died, and others were sent to the hospital for serious injuries.

As of right now, I do not know the conditions of everyone. I'm so nervous.

I wandered through the crowd, looking for familiar faces until I finally found one.

"Javi", I said to myself.

He was with other emergency personnel. I don't feel like it's my place to go up to him. He and everyone else is still busy working very hard. Still though, I want to go to him. I watched as he sat down to drink some water, he must be on break.

I approached him slowly. He immediately turned his head as if he knew I was near.

"Sarina? What are you doing here", he said as he quickly stood up.

I looked into his eyes. He looked so worn out and tired but also traumatized. I can't imagine what he just went through.

I ran up to him, throwing myself at him. He didn't hesitate to open his arms for me. He hugged me just as strongly as I did.

"It's not safe to be here dummy", he whispered.

"I know, but I couldn't help it. I was so worried."

"I know."

He then took a step back to look at me.

"Are you okay", I asked.

He looked down between us.

"I-I don't know...I feel kind of numb. I never seen anything like this. It's just a lot to process, you know? I think those on the front line took it harder than me."

"Like Tyler and everyone else..."

"Yeah...I don't know where he is. Even though I was under his orders, I still have to report back to my sergeant."

"Hernandez."

Javi quickly turned around and saluted. That must be his sergeant.

"Let's go, we have lots of work to do with the information we have."

"Yes sir."

He then turned back to me.

"Sorry Sarina. Go back home, okay? I'll get in touch as soon as I can."

He gave my hand one last squeeze before leaving.

I really should go. There's no point in me sticking around.

I started my way back home, that's when I heard my phone start ringing. It was Josh.

"Josh. Are you and everyone else okay", I quickly asked.

"Yes, we are all okay."

"Where's Tyler...is he okay...you know..."

"He's still in the mall, just being hard headed and refusing to let someone else take charge. I know he isn't doing good mentally. I'm trying hard to convince him to take off for the rest of the night. It's pretty bad here and it has definitely affected him. Once I do get him out of here, I would like you to be there for him."

"Of course!"

"Great. Go to my house. Amy is there but she will be leaving soon for work. I will send him over as soon as I can."

"Okay."

As soon as I hung up, I called for a ride to Josh's house.

I'll do what I can to help Tyler. I just wonder how badly this affected him.